Chapter 9: New Equipment

Hiccup's POV

     Huff. Huff. I blinked my eyes open. I saw Astrid's face staring at me with Toothless on the other side.

     "Uhhh where am I?" I rubbed my head and sat up slowly.

     "We're in your mom's sanctuary. She picked up you and Toothless before the vikings found you." She grabbed my hand and smiled.

     "How'd you get here?" Toothless licked me in the face.

     Ew that's gross...
     "I...I trained a dragon of my own. One of the dragons stayed behind and I trained it. A Deadly Nadder I named Stormfly. I flew back to Berk quickly and packed my stuff then set off to find the sanctuary. I found it and haven't left your side since. After your mom fixed your leg she set off to make sure Berk was okay. She's been hanging out with the Bewilderbeast worried. Not speaking. Not eating. Not sleeping." Astrid smiled sadly.

     "Wait what happened to my leg?" I took off the blanket and gasped. Instead of a left foot I had a metal prosthetic. "It's going to need a few tweaks." I gave a small laugh.

     Toothless walked over and I sat on him. He didn't have a saddle nor a prosthetic tailfin. They must've gotten destroyed in the fire.

     "I tried reading your plans for a new tailfin and a new saddle with the dragon scales but it was too complicated." Astrid followed me out. Her Deadly Nadder ran to her and nuzzled her.

     My mom was sitting at the top of the Bewilderbeast fingering her staff. "Mom!"

     Her head shot up. The Bewilderbeast turned his head and she ran along the tusks until she got on land.

     She gave me a big hug, "Hiccup, I was so worried."

     "I know mom. How was Berk?" I pulled away after a minute.

     "They all think you are dead. Astrid they think you were killed to. We can't go back. You know that now don't you." She turned to Astrid.

     "I know. I don't want to. Not without Stormfly." The nadder nudged her.

     "You're more than welcome here Astrid." My mother smiled.

     She nodded. "Mom, I got to get building. I have so many ideas!"

     I turned Toothless around and he ran back to the cave. I got straight to work mostly sitting down and have Toothless heat the iron. I first made the new sword I've been talking about making. It's encoaxed with Monstrous Nightmare saliva on one end of the sword and the other releases Hideous Zippleback gas. One push of a button and BOOM. I created cartridges of the saliva and a place to put them on my right leg. I had an area for the sword on my leg. I placed everything on there and began working on the new prosthetic. I made a revolving one with two modes: a flying mode and a walking mode. The flying mode was long and thin and would hook into the new foot peg easily. I made buckles so it would hook onto my armour easily. The walking mode split apart into two iron bars and come together at the bottom in a circular motion. I put on the new prosthetic and then began on the saddle and tailfin. I decided to make everything out of Toothless's scales even a black saddle. We would blend in with the night sky. All the new equipment took a few weeks to make. I attached everything to Toothless and stood back to admire my work.

     Your new tailfin is made out of your scales entirely so it shouldn't burn up. The saddle is complete black as well. We'll blend in a lot easier and it should feel more comfortable. No more leather except for the rope and the Gronckle iron rings around your legs.
     Thanks Hiccup! It is more comfortable.