You don't even have the energy to argue. You let your head fall against Levi's shoulder, trusting him to handle the rest.

Something creaks, and there's a crash; a piece of the roof fell through and nearly squashed Hange. "Let's go, you idiot," Levi snaps, and they both head to the barn door, away from the flames.

You open your eyes weakly. Willem is still unconscious on the ground, and Ethel is hunched over him, sobbing hysterically.

You meet her eyes. She mouths, I'm sorry.

The apology doesn't mean much, but you still can't help but feel bad for her. Trapped in an emotionally abusive marriage with a psychopath. You get it, you really do- she's forced to do this, scared of repercussions, and justifiably so. You hope she makes it out okay.

The rain is heavy when you leave the building, and it's a relief from the sudden swell of heat in the barn. "You got her?" Hange calls as they jog towards the horses- tied to a tree, only slightly sheltered by the tree branches.

"Stay awake, you dumbass," Levi mutters as he hands you off to Hange so that he can get on his horse.

You chuckle weakly. "Yeah, yeah."

Somehow, Hange and Levi manage to get you situated on Levi's horse, sitting in front of him with both legs swung over one side of the horse and your head on his shoulder. You glance back at the burning barn. The rain is combatting the flames, but whatever Hange did has caused a lot of damage. You're not sure whether Willem and Ethel will live or not, and you're trying not to care, but you can still see Ethel's desperate face when you close your eyes.

"Don't you dare die on me," Levi mutters as the horses start to run.

"I thought you didn't give a shit," you murmur.

"I don't."

You laugh weakly to yourself, studying his face. His eyes are set dead ahead, his gaze stone cold. But as you look up, his eyes flicker down to you briefly, and his expression melts for a fraction of a second.

You smile. "Sure, you don't."

"Shut up," Levi grumbles.

Hange shouts something, but you can't hear them over the clap of thunder. You let your eyes flutter shut, allowing the rain to soak your face and your hair. Your clothes are drenched with rain and blood. Eventually, the rain drowns out the sound of horse hooves on mud and Levi cursing under his breath.

How nice would it be if there were stars, you think deliriously.

It becomes too tiring to stay awake, and you let yourself fall asleep.

.

When you wake up, you're back in your old hospital room, and Levi is asleep in the chair next to you.

You blink open your good eye, then try your bad eye. To your surprise, the image looks clear. Normally using both eyes at once leaves one side blurry and muddled and eventually gives you a headache, but for once, everything looks clear. How bizarre.

You sit up, wincing and hugging your side. You cover your good eye and turn your injured eye on Levi, and nearly sob in relief when you realize you can see him. It's not crystal clear, but you can see the smudges of color that make up his jacket and shirt, his lips pressed in a hard line, head tipped sideways. It's the best vision you've ever had in this eye, at least.

"I can see you," you whisper, and his eyes open.

"What?" Levi asks.

"You were awake?" you ask awkwardly, dropping your hand.