The Beginning

~When he looked at her staring out at the horizon, he saw the cracks her past had left, but this did not break her. It made her stronger, and he was afraid~

Steam came out of every crack in the dark cave. The smell of sweat mixed with the wet earth only added to the inescapable must. I sat on a chair, slumped over as if asleep.

WOOSSHH

A panel opened in the wall, revealing a large green creature. It stomped in, barely sparing me a glance as it got to work on a large machine. A generator.

The chair I was bound to felt cold under me. It was made of pure metal, and wires protruded out at all angles.

"Oh, it's that time of the year. How wonderful," I said sarcastically as I pulled against the straps.

The creature just looked at me blankly before checking every wire. He stomped back to the open panel and pulled out a device. Without any warning, the machine whirred to life, and the panel closed on him. I braced myself as pain consumed me. It was like all of my nerves went on hyperdrive. Every inch of my body felt like it was on fire.

I couldn't hold in my scream any longer.

"STOP! PLEASE STOP! I CAN'T TAKE IT!" I yelled

I thrashed against my constraints, causing my already irritated wrists to bleed. My blood pooled before releasing a crimson drop onto the damp floors. Mixing with the dirt, it began glowing. I blinked, unsure if I was hallucinating.

The light swirled into the air, creating a window through which I could barely make out a person's silhouette.

The image cleared and i saw that it was a man I didn't recognize. There was something about him, though. Something familiar.

Before I could fully understand what I was seeing, the light began to dim. If it weren't for his movements, I was ready to pass it all off as a dream. He reached out his arm as if trying to pull me from this terrible place. My arm twitched as I began to move my hand forward. It took all my strength to fight against the fire, making its way down my nerves. A single tear left my cheek as I let out the words that were forming themselves on my tongue. They left my mouth before I even realized I was talking as if it were muscle memory.

"DOCTOR!" I yelled with the last energy I could muster.

The light faded, reminding me that I was still stuck in this dimly lit cave. As the machine whirring slowed, I realized I was still holding my breath. With a loud gasp, I hungrily sucked in breaths of the warm, musty air.

Despite my will to stay awake, I could feel my eyes growing tired. But when I closed my eyes, all I could see was him. That familiar stranger. Doctor? Doctor who?