14. Challenges

I didn't remember much, I didn't even know what was going on. All I knew, is one moment I was sliding into the drivers side of my car, and the next, I trying to pry my eyes open as pain shot through every bone from my hips down.

Something was burning, I think it was me.

Sirens blared and my head spun as I finally opened my eyes. I looked around at my surroundings, the world too bright for me. My legs were pinned under the dash of my car which rolled up over me, my left arm had shards of glass buried in it, and my right arm had a bone sticking through the skin.

Begging myself not to throw up or pass out, I tried to call for help, but my throat was too dry to utter a word. A man rushed over to assess my wounds, I saw a first responder badge on him.

"Please, get me out of here..." I begged, not sure if I was even speaking.

"Ma'am, can you tell me what happened? What happened?"

I shook my head, I didn't know what happened. "I- I don't know, I don't know what happened."

I must have started to cry because the man tried shushing me, not in a harsh or mean way, but as if he was trying to calm me. "It's okay, we're going to get you out. Just stay awake."

I tried, I really tried, but unfortunately I had failed. My world went black no more than two minutes after I had been told to say away. The next thing I knew is I was in a room filled with annoying beeping.

And I couldn't move.

My eyes opened, and I squinted at the bright florescent lights. I looked to my right and seen Shawn, his hand grasping mine that was wrapped in a cast, his head resting on the edge of the bed as small snores emitted from him.

I reached over, seeing small stitches scattered on my arm as I pressed a button, calling for a nurse. It took less than a minute for a nurse to arrive, gasping when she seen me awake.

"What happened?" I asked quietly, unsure if it was because Shawn was asleep or if it was because my throat was dry. Over on the small couch, Cory stirred, removing his arm from around Topanga's shoulders as he rubbed his eyes.

"Y/N!" Cory practically yelled as he darted off the couch, waking Topanga. Shawn remained asleep until Cory slapped him on the back of the head.

"Dude what the-"

"Y/n, she's awake."

Shawn looked at me, his eyes immediately tearing up as he stood, holding my hand still. "Oh my God, you're awake, you're awake, you're alive-"

"What happened?" I asked once more, using the remote to raise my bed.

"You were in a really bad wreak, you had a head on collision with an eighteen wheeler that swerved between lanes..." Shawn said quietly. "It was really, really bad..."

"Why can't I move? I can't move my legs. I can't feel them. Why?"

As if on cue, a man in a white coat walked in. "Y/n, I'm Dr. Mark Caswell," He started checking on my stats before continuing. "It's good to see you awake-"

"Why can't I move my legs?"

"Oh, right... So you see, when the truck rammed into you, your car basically folded over you, crushing your legs and pelvis... We were able to repair most of the damage although...unfortunately... We don't think that you'll ever walk again, you most definitely won't walk again on your own."

"Wait, so you're saying I'm paralyzed?" I scoffed, looking at him, waiting for the 'aha, gotcha' moment, but it never came as his face remained somber. "No, no, no you're not- I can't be, I'm-"

"I truly am sorry... But there are options, physical therapy" Dr. Caswell said, glancing away before looking at me. "I'll let you guys have some time to discuss the situation..."

"Thank you Doctor," Shawn said as the Dr. walked out of the room. "Y/n..."

"Please don't...just...please, leave me alone." I shook my head, looking down at my hands. "I want to get some rest."

"You've been asleep for three days-"

Topanga cut Cory off by nudging his ribs. "Lets go get some lunch, Cor. Okay?"

The pair left the room silently, leaving me, alone with Shawn. We had already been through a lot this year, and here was yet another thing that was determined to screw with my life.

"Y/n..."

"Where is Delancy?"

"Jack is watching her...I can call them up to come if you'd like me to?"

"Maybe later." I whispered. Tears had started falling, and even though I avoided eye contact with Shawn, he knew, ad he knelt beside, grasping my good hand tightly.

"You'll get through this, Y/n. I will be with you every step of the way, no matter what you decide to do, okay? I love you and I'll always be here for you..." He wiped a tear away, before bringing my hand to his face and kissing it softly. "I love you, always."

"I love you Shawn...I love you too..." I suck in a sharp breath, pressing my lips together. "You should go home and get some real rest, when you come back later you could have the others come."

"I'm not leaving your side, Y/n. I mean it when I'm going to be here for you every step-" He stopped mid sentence, looking at my legs before back at me. "I...uh, I didn't..."

I couldn't help but laugh quietly. "It's okay, I know what you mean, Shawn."