Chapter 17

Minho said she had no choice.

She protested that running in the Maze would only hurt them, not benefit, considering the odds that the Grievers were doing whatever the hell they wanted.

But Minho said she couldn't let the future ruin the present.

Probably the smartest thing he'd ever said, and she didn't get it.

She was on her own in the Maze now, that had been made official.

Every Runner ran their Section, and there was no complaining. Same routine.

You run.

You come back.

Map it out.

You're done.

She tried to keep her thoughts off of the monsters as much as she could, and it wasn't easy.

Every blind corner scared the daylight out of her, and she crept along the wall. She knew the chances of anything being there were slim, but she wasn't taking that risk.

She made it back every day, just like Minho promised.

But that didn't make it any easier.

She and Thomas had made a 'Visitation Chart', which was really a time of three to four, where the two of them would check on Newt.

And one day, it benefited.

She met Thomas outside the West Door after running, and they walked to the Homestead together.

She nearly cried opening the door.

Because when she did, she found Newt sitting up in bed, smiling at them. He was eating, and could talk in complete sentences.

But his smile was back.

Casey loved that smile.

She ran to the bed, and was scared she'd choke him with the lack of air from the attack.

But, her fears vanished when he hugged back, harder than she did.

"I missed you, Greenie." He whispered against her ear.

She had to try really hard not to cry.

Newt peeked over her shoulder,"Tommy!"

Thomas laughed,"You're looking better!"

"Feelin better, too."

She hadn't noticed she was in his lap until Thomas sat down next to her on the bed.

"Did'ja see anything?"

Newt sighed,"Lots of things, memories, some of the Creators, but not a bloody clue what they were doin. I've got no idea what they meant."

"Well, maybe that's a good thing. Maybe they weren't something you'd appreciate remembering." Casey said.

"That's true," Thomas nodded,"I've heard stuff from Alby. Not good, man."

Newt shrugged,"You're probably right. So, what have I missed?"

Thomas and Casey exchanged a glance.

"Oh no. What's wrong?"

Casey didn't want to tell him. Alby had gotten worse, but insisted on working around the Glade. Chuck must've been psychic, because Gally got stung the other day. The Med-Jacks didn't know it, but being a Runner had its advantages. Just like Alby, Gally wanted to keep working. But, the Builders reported him missing the other day. And they hadn't seen him at dinner lately. The girl, Casey learned her name was Teresa, she was out of her coma, and had spent more time with Thomas lately. She didn't know how the boy liked that. They talked a lot, and sometimes Thomas was late for meeting up at the Door. Minho made kissy faces when that happened.

So, did Newt need to know that?

She didn't think so.

But, who could resist those puppy eyes?

Newt shook her,"C'mon, tell me."

She forced herself not to.

Don't look at his eyes, she thought.

Thomas coughed,"Well, my map isn't completely finished. I've gotta go. Good to see you, Newt."

"You too, Tommy."

And with that, the boy was gone, and she was alone, with a smiling Newt.

She'd dreamed of this a thousand times.

If you knew Newt the way she did, you'd dream of it too.

He looked at her,"I really did miss you, Greenster."

"Greenster? Not Greenie?"

"I think I overuse that name. I want it to be special."

Casey was filled with anticipation,"What's that supposed to mean, Newt?"

"Well, I think my girlfriend should have a special name, don't you?"

She couldn't have been happier with the way he announced it.

"I think that's a great idea, Blondie."

He put his forehead against hers,"You know, I really love you, Casey."

Nose to nose.

"I think I knew that."

Lips to lips.

He pulled away for a second,"You sure?"

"Positive."

And then they were kissing again.

She opened one eye, and found Newt looking back.

She tried to smile with her eyes, and that didn't work.

So, they quit the eye talk, and let the kiss do its job.