Chapter 24: If only you could change the past

Start from the beginning

Someone runs to my side, frantic and terrified.

" Sanem! What happened! Are you ok!" I'm numb as Damien pulls me to my feet, keeping a sturdy arm around my waist. I nod, unable to speak from the shock of what happened.

" What's wrong with her?" Flora joins us, patting me down for any wounds. But the blood covering me is not my own.

" Oh my god. Sanem, can you hear me?" My head lolls to the side, but someone grabs my chin, forcing me to meet their eyes. Nasir stares at me, his hands shaking as they hold my face.

" She's fine." Amare pushes past Nasir to take a look at me. She touches my bloody forehead and her brows drawdown in concentration. Suddenly a wave of strength surges through me, and I straighten, stepping away from Damien. Amare sighs, her expression filled with pride as she surveys me.

" She's just surrendered to her true power."

Everyone turns to glare at Amare.

" Sanem doesn't have any power," Nasir argues, distraught at the thought of me not being human. The others just keep quiet, coming to terms with this new revelation.

" Sorry to interrupt your discussion about me," I cross my arms, making them all glance at me in shock and bewilderment, " But we really have to get to the crystal pool. Amare," I gesture at her, " Lead the way."

She nods, then begins to pick her way through the littered bodies around us. I follow her, keeping my eyes diverted from the destruction I have caused. My friends follow behind, silent.

" Wait," Nasir stops suddenly, looking around at the chaos, searching, " Where's Lael?"

Then it hits me. I gulp, sucking in tears as they threaten to pour down my face. Lael. I watched him be crushed to death under the pillar.

" He's gone." I choke on my own sob, stifling it. I don't have time to mourn.

" Gone?" Nasir asks, walking up to me. I turn away, not answering, and follow after Amare. The rest of them trailing behind me, solemn and grieving.

Amare leads us over to a pair of double doors, pushing them open with a loud groan. They swing to the sides, revealing another stark white corridor.

" The crystal pool is just down here." She begins to jog down the hall, not waiting to see if we follow. Flicking my hand over my head, I summon my sword. It flies through the air, hitting my palm and my fingers snap closed around the hilt.

My friends stare at the small act of my newfound power, but I don't acknowledge them. Instead, I run to catch up with Amare, ignoring the sticky blood coating the handle of the blade. Together we round a bend in the corridor, then abruptly come to a skidding stop.

Two people block our path, standing before a wooden door. One woman wears a brown, dirty dress. While the other is clothed in a beautiful purple gown. But along the bodice of the gown is a bright red stain. I frown, realizing the dark-haired woman is covered in blood.

Releasing my sword I direct it with my mind. It soars forward, heading straight for the two women.

" No!" Amare yells, racing after my blade. But it's too late. The sword plunges through the chest of the girl wearing brown rags. She staggers, staring at us with wide, unseeing eyes, before toppling backwards and hitting the floor in a heap.

The lady wearing the purple gown releases a screech of pure agony and dives for the girl, collapsing over her body, weeping and screaming her name.

" Sandrea! Sandrea!" She cries, lifting the lifeless corpse up into her arms, and rocks back and forth, wailing. Amare halts a few feet away, paralyzed in shock. I stumble forward, followed by my friends.