Chapter 2: Of Gods and Goddesses

Start from the beginning

But they come. They come hot and fast. I frantically wipe at my eyes. They won't stop. I need them to stop.

Slowly, I regain my composure after the break-down. I can't remember the last time I cried. The last time I showed any emotion that isn't love and trust.

I think it was when I was six. My father Regis, the king of the gods, took my favorite doll away from me. But those tears were tears of anger. These tears are something different.

"Amare?"

I'm on my feet in an instant. Swinging around I find Invidia standing in front of the curtains. I hadn't heard her enter. Stupid me.

Straightening out my gown I flash her a perfect smile, hoping she won't see I've been crying. She smiles back and I nearly go right over and rip that smile from her face. That fake smile. I know whenever she sees me she wishes she could do the same.

My hands curl into fists before I can stop them. I quickly make them relax.

"Amare?" She asks again softly.

"Yes, Invidia?" I reply, keeping the quiver from my voice.

"Are you feeling well?"

I stifle a laugh. Like she cares how I feel. If it were up to her, she would personally poison me. I nod curtly.

"Just a little faint."

"Well, you should see a nurse."

I pretend to ponder this for a moment. Finally, I make a decision.

"OK," I say, playing along.

Before Invidia can say another word I turn on my heel and walk away. I let her think I'm going to see a nurse. But in reality, I'm going to try and sort out her mess. I will personally help Sanem. It's the least I can do. I turn down the corridor that leads to the crystal pool.

First, I have to see where she is.

🜋🜋🜋🜋🜋

Sanem

I run and run, never looking back.

People stare at me as I push them out of my way. They probably think I'm nuts. To be honest, I don't disagree.

Something really weird is going on with me.

I don't even know where I'm going. I just need to get away from here. I just need...

But I can't leave Imiopia. I can't leave the Dome. All these new emotions bombard my senses. It feels as though they are consuming me. I can't breathe.

My vision is blurry, and I can't see the people in front of me clearly. I hear voices shouting at me as I aimlessly crash into people. I hear young children screaming as I trip over them. I feel hands grasping for me as I lose focus.

My head is dizzy and my breathing ragged. Finally, I hear no more people. Finally, all is quiet. Coming to a stop I sink to my knees. I feel the soft blades of grass underneath me. My vision is still blurry, and I realize it is because of the tears streaming down my face.

They feel odd. I've never cried before. I don't even know how to. But I guess there's a first time for everything. Through the waterfall of emotions, I slowly start to piece together my surroundings.

A green field, a few newly cut hedges and...

I reach my hand out towards the sky... It's so close. Maybe a hair's breadth from my fingertips. If I can just touch it...

My body collapses, and I tumble into a pit of darkness.

🜋🜋🜋🜋🜋