Chapter 6

T/W :

Henry Bowers - homophobic behavior, a bit of violence

"Ok class and remember, for the exam next week, you have to do all the practice questions on sheet 7 and read through pages 69-72, have a good lunch,"

The second that the teacher had stopped speaking, Eddie had eagerly darted out of the room, leaving everyone else to slowly pack up as they talked. The only thing he wanted to do was get his lunch from the cafeteria and get out. Out being either under the bleachers, that was if there wasn't anyone hooking up or violently making out, or in the far corner of the library, where even the crusty old librarian wouldn't see him, and bullies would think twice about stepping in. 

So, for the 4th time that day, he ran down the corridors, glad that they weren't clogged up with students- conveniently forgetting that they would be in the next few minutes. And just like that, the floodgates opened, people spilling out from their classes on their way to lunch, stopping Eddie in his tracks, he was stuck between rows of lockers, the backs of bags, and people who walked slower than his mom. The small boy tapped their shoulders impatiently, anxious to buy his food and get away, before he ran into someone he didn't want to.

He was relieved when they finally gave way, not noticing the unnecessary annoyed looks they were giving him- Eddie only cared about lunch. After two more minutes of edging in and out of groups of people, a short jog across the field, and a quick stop to take out his inhaler and catch his breath, he finally arrived at the cafeteria, joining the end of the lunch line. 

He paused as he fumbled around with the zip of his fanny pack, to put his inhaler back in the right compartment, aware of the queue rapidly building up behind him, his fingers bent on not being able to pull the zip open properly. 

He really was trying to go as fast as possible, and he had nearly gotten it open, before someone gave him a light shove, startling him, "Hurry the fuck up girly boy, move your short ass along, we're all fucking starving."

Eddie mumbled an apology as he scurried forward to catch up with the person in front of him. He gave a sigh, feeling his face get a bit warmer, his small fingers tugging at the hem of his red shorts to pull them down slightly, and try and cover most of his thighs. He counted himself pretty lucky that he hadn't run into the infamous Henry Bowers today, as he usually did, lunch was prime time for bullies, their golden hour to pick on whoever they wanted, because the teachers wouldn't give a shit. 

Eddie tried not to focus on the snickers behind him, of the people who had seen him trying to make his shorts seem less....feminine. To be honest, he had gotten used to it, but that didn't mean that it never bothered him.

Standing on his tiptoes, he tried to get a glimpse of the menu for the day's lunch, seeing the bold, white chalk scrawled on the blackboard, spelling out 'Spaghetti $3.99, take it or leave.' Really? It had to be spaghetti today? He remembered the 'argument' he and Richie had in art and couldn't help thinking how stupid someone had to be to prefer spaghetti over pizza. 

He didn't like spaghetti, that was clear, it wasn't the greatest, and he was considering leaving the line, and just not eating anything for the rest of lunch, that was until his stomach gave a loud grumble, making Eddie look up suddenly to see if anyone had heard. After that, he made the wise decision to stay put, seeing as he was almost at the counter. 

"What do you want hun?" the large cafeteria lady asked, chewing some gum. She didn't bother look up, already scooping some of the spaghetti into a bowl, putting it on a tray, and sliding it towards Eddie.
"Uh, can I not have a takeaway box?"
"No can do sweetie, too much litter being left 'round everywhere, you kids are just gonna have to make do here" she said, jaw working away violently, as her lips smacked together making a gross sound, and Eddie was worried that the spit flying from her mouth would end up in his food.