14) Given Half the Chance (Would I Take Any of It Back?)

Start from the beginning

Everything in Matt screamed not to go. Everything in him screamed to go too; just snatch Vera away.

But that might prove risky in her state.

And it would be kidnapping, which was not only a crime, but was something she would rightfully rip him a new one for, because he sure as hell didn't own her. He had no right.

Coulson's heart rate and body temperature spiked at Matt's words, probably figuring out what Matt was saying without saying it explicitly. He clasped his hands and leaned back into the chair.

"I hear you. I understand why you'd protect them. But I need to protect my team too," the agent stated, suddenly serious. "How did you know where to go?"

"I had a friend hacking your jet's GPS," Matt explained matter-of-factly.

Coulson's heart speeded up again.

"That's impossible."

Matt finally turned his head to face Vera's boss fully, his eyebrows jumping up in silent question. If it's impossible, how am I here?

"This system was developed by some of the most capable minds on this planet and was tested and perfected by Tony Stark," Coulson elaborated.

Matt could only shrug. What was there to say?

"You're not the only one with genius allies."

The moment the words left his mouth, Matt found the corners of his lips twitching. Oh Felicity would be delighted if she heard him say that... she might still kick his shin or worse if he showed up again – and admitted he revealed himself to Vera – but this would win him some points.

"And do you really believe Tony Stark didn't leave an opening about which he believed only he could enter through?"

That was a farfetched comment, Matt was aware, but he had heard all sorts of things about Tony Stark, the Ironman and had met him; he probably hacked SHIELD on daily basis for fun, so he had had to leave himself a path.

Judging by Coulson's amused huff, making him break the serious mask, Matt wasn't wrong.

"Fair point. So... I guess it was one of your vigilante friends? Or friends of your vigilante friends? For every single thing I asked about?"

Matt didn't respond. He had nothing to say; he wasn't about to put neither Team Flash or Team Arrow in danger. Even if chances were that it was only a matter of time before they figured things out; Daredevil had been seen when collaborating with the vigilantes before, after all.

"We can track them down, you know. I'd just rather have you tell me on your own," Coulson offered kindly, but at that moment, Matt couldn't but scoff internally.

This might be a damn super-plane of a super-spy organization and Coulson might be one of the bests, but even without his abilities, Matt would be likely to recognize the bluff. And he wasn't going to not call the agent out.

"You didn't even know about them until now. I think it's safe to say they're gonna be alright."

Coulson hesitated, but only sighed tiredly in the end. "Alright. Let me rephrase: I need to know, Matthew. If they are ever to turn dark-"

"I trust them with my life, Agent Coulson," Matt interrupted him swiftly. He squeezed Vera's hand on instinct as another intrusive thought reminded him of something even more important; something Coulson surely must have understand at this point despite barely meeting Matt. "What more, I trust them with Vera's life."

The confession was met with silence; the beeping of the heart monitor was now the loudest sound in the room.

Which allowed Matt to pinpoint exactly the moment Coulson was about to speak; and to know beforehand that he finally realized he wasn't getting anything from Matt. Which might not discourage the spy from trying again later, but it was certainly enough to stop him for now.