4. Bulgaria

About an hour after I leave, I arrive in Bulgaria. I run through the trees, ready to greet my family. I eventually see my small house through the trees and slow down, to a human paced walk. I don't want my family to be frightened of me, when I reveal I am a vampire.

I walk to my old house, preparing the words I will say to them. I haven't seen my parents in over a year, which is quite upsetting. I smell blood, but I ignore it and knock on the door.

With my light touch I tap the door. It crashes to the ground, splintered and broken. Immediately, I know something is wrong. The stench of blood is stronger, and I step into my old bedroom, where I can smell the blood the most.

I gasp. On my bed, and around the room lies the bodies of my family. My dead family.

Niklaus. It must of been. His gift to me for ruining the breaking of his spell. He killed them. I search the room. Here lies my mother, father, my sister and my maid. All dead. I try feeding my blood to them, but I realise they must have been dead for months. And I didn't know.

For the next few hours I sit. And cry. Because I never got to say good bye to them. And they died not seeing my after I was banished. I hope they felt guilty when they died.

Rose told me soon after I transformed into a vampire that I had some abilities. I can compel people to do what I want, I can feed people my blood to heal them, or turn them into vampires, and there's something called a humanity switch. That I should always keep on.

My humanity switch is what keeps me human. I can feel emotions. I can feel regret. And if I turn it off, all this pain I feel now will just go away. As easy as that.

So I look deep inside myself, find that switch, and switch it off.