“This chance at peace is something that the magicians have propagated,” Luna said. “We believe that together, we can overcome the Fire Immortal. The choice resides in you, each and every Moon Child, whether or not we keep this alliance. I know that not all of you believe that my choices are just or reasonable; I am elected queen solely because I am a Meteorite, not because I am the most experienced or knowledgeable Moon Child in our world. But queen or no queen, I am still your liaison with the magicians; I am as much one of them as I am one of you.”

                Luna pressed on, determined not to let the voices in the crowd prevent her from getting her entire speech out. “But I want all of you to know that together, we have saved each other’s lives countless times. Sapphire, our healer who is a magician, has been working day and night to save the lives of magicians and Moon Children who were injured in the Battle for Avalon. And the Moon Children have taken a tremendously generous step in coming to our aid in our time of need. Despite all the tension, everything bad, we have already put aside our selfish thoughts for the greater good. For our future and for the future of our generations to come.”

                Although Luna had predicted the outcome of her speech, she knew perfectly well that the result was uncertain. The alliance was so tentatively balanced on the tip of a knife that the slightest misspeak would tip the scales in the wrong direction. So as she spoke, she kept her mind open for the result that she needed; she hated manipulating them but she had convinced herself that it was better this way.

                “I want all of you to know that we are people who can change the world,” she said firmly, gaining attention from the crowd once more. “We can change it for the better. And not by controlling people with our powers the way Varmer is, but accepting ourselves and other people the way we all are and living in harmony. Our alliance has started that. Varmer’s reign has to end. He is a tyrant. He is controlling our friends, our family, our people. If no one takes the first step, nothing will change.”

                A voice shouted from the crowd, “You said so yourself that Varmer has never harmed us! Why should we fight against him? We’ll only gain his distaste and make him kill us!”

                A roar of approval sounded at the shout; Luna felt sweat breaking out on her forehead, but she persevered, determined not to be defeated by that Moon Child.

                “Because if we don’t do this, we will go extinct,” Luna said flatly. “Or at least be controlled by the Fire Immortal under complete paralysis. I wanted to show this to you anyway; it’s what is going to happen in the future if Varmer continues to reign. All of you know that I’m a diviner; I can predict the future. With your permission, I will have my magician ally to project the image into all of your minds so that you can see the future that will come to pass if we do not defeat the Fire Immortal.”

                With that Raven stepped out from behind the curtain, but she did not look like herself. She had donned Helen’s form. Luna’s eyes met Troy’s in the crowd when he gasped a sharp intake of breath. She gave her head the tiniest, almost imperceptible shake, answering his silent question. He sagged slightly in disappointment and Luna felt a wave of guilt at accidently getting his hopes up.

                “How do we know that you or your magician friend didn’t tamper with the vision?” shouted the same Moon Child as before.

                Luna locked eyes with him, keeping her face impassive. “Because Moon Children can detect when lies are being told,” she replied. “Quite a few of you, Saturn especially, can vouch for us to say that this vision is exactly what I have predicted.”