14

*Pictured above is Valerie

The night of the fair.

It was going to be cold later in the night. I put on these dark grey corduroy pants with an oversized dark green sweater.

Allen and I drove to Pearl's to pick her up. Last time I was at Pearl's it wasn't the most delightful night. I thought Tristan was going to get jumped by Allen the way he stared at him. She walks out smiling and chirpy. She wore this pink long sleeve shirt with a white dress over it with sheer tights and some boots. Pearl hops in the back seat and gives Allen a kiss on the cheek. She squeals in excitement.

Damn why does she always have to be so chirpy. Stop, Celeste. You're being rude.

The ride to the fair was actually nice. We all had a smooth conversation, Pearl talked most of the time. When we got to the fair I told Pearl and Allen they could go on the rides together and I'd get food by myself. Allen gave me that look asking "Are you sure?" But I nodded letting him know I was okay.

Pearl was good for Allen. She got on my nerves but that doesn't mean I wasn't mad about her and Allen being together. I went to a booth and got a pepperoni pizza and a coke. I sat down on a bench and ate as I watched little kids running around and playing. I remember coming here when I was a whole lot younger with my mom, dad, Allen, his mom, and his dad. Allen and I would get yelled at for running out of their sight. We couldn't go on most rides because of how young we were but it didn't matter because we could stare at the wall together for hours straight and still manage to have a good time.

It's funny, I don't miss my dad. Nothing crazy happened between him and my mom. They fell out of love and now he's in Canada with a new wife and kid. I let go easily of him because he wasn't around that much when I was a kid so why even care when he's completely gone? He doesn't contact me but there's no point anyways when he has his own life and I have mine.

As I stare off into space reminiscing, I feel warm hands touch my shoulders. I look up to see Tristan. Behind him is Valerie, Naomi, Ty, Olli, Fabian, and Zach.

Ty, Olli, Fabian, and Zach were guys on the basketball team. Naomi is another one of my friends. Naomi is Charles' cousin.

I greet all of them giving hugs and catching up. Fabian was surprised that I wasn't with Allen and I told everyone I wanted to let him and Pearl have their alone time. We all started walking around and even going on some rides together. About an hour later we meet up with Allen and Pearl. I notice Naomi was glaring at Pearl. Pearl was trying her best not to pay attention to Naomi.

"I'm going to the bathroom real quick." Naomi states and walks off.

Naomi was a very distant person. She kept to herself a lot but around friends she had an electric feel to her. She sticks up to herself and for the people she loves. When Charles died, she never let anyone in. She only ever talked to me about it and that was occasionally. Naomi is a confident woman. When she doesn't like someone, she's civil about it but she makes it known.

I admire that a lot.

Valerie and I head to the ferris wheel together. It was her favorite ride.

"You look so cute babe." I tell her.

"Thank you!" She beams.

"Tristan and I hooked up."

"Yeah he told me." She says with a big grin on her face.

"It's so crazy. Tristan and I have known each other for a year and I would've never expected us to do anything together. I always saw him as a brother."

"Gross, hopefully not anymore."

We both laugh. As we got up to the top she looks out and smiles. The sun was setting so the rides started to light up.

Valerie is a very sensitive person. She's super outgoing and fun. One of the things I love the most about Valerie is she finds beauty in almost everything. She's the oldest out of all her siblings and treats them like they are her own children. Her household is pretty loving for the most part.

Valerie use to be in a relationship when I first met her, her boyfriend was abusive. Nobody ever expected it because they were together since 8th grade and seemed perfect. It wasn't until Charles saw a bruise on her left arm that it came out. We were all sitting together in his living room and Charles pulled Valerie aside. After a couple minutes Valerie comes out crying. She confessed to us what Scotty was doing to her and we all listened to her silently. We were shocked. The only thing that filled the room was her cries. The guys confronted Scotty and beat him up. They told him if he ever came near her again that they would cut his balls off or some shit. Scotty and his family moved right after that.

Even after all of that, her smile remained as lively and bright as before. If anything, she was even more radiant than ever. Valerie is one if the strongest women I know.

"What?" Valerie asks playfully as she catches me looking at her.

"I'm just so lucky to have an amazing friend like you in my life." I reply. A tear comes out my eye but I quickly wipe it away.

"Aweee." She squeals and hugs me tight.

We get off the ride and meet up with the group again. Naomi is still nowhere to be found. We ask them about her and they all shrug.

"I'll go check on her!" Valerie says and walks off.