Chapter 2: "You'll Never Be Good Enough"

Maddie's POV:

I looked out at the scenery going by outside of the car window. Houses, streets, and cars went by as a blur as Mom drove towards pris- oh, I mean the ALDC.

I looked down to see a notification from Instagram pop up on my phone screen. I slid it across the screen and unlocked my phone, opening the app immediately.

@chloelukasiak33 and @PaigeHyland1 left a comment on your photo.

Ugh not them again, I mentally groaned as I clicked on the update. My most recent picture, which was a group photo of my friends and I at the beach from last weekend, came up. I scrolled down to the comment section and saw the two most recent posts left:

@chloelukasiak33: cute photo! It'd be better if you weren't in it!😂

@PaigeHyland1: @chloelukasiak33 😂👏 she thinks she's cute in that swimsuit. All I see is a fat chick.

I clenched my jaw as I read the nasty comments that Chloe and Paige left on my photo. Once again, when I felt that I was on top of the world, they just had to make me crash and burn.

"We're here, girls. Get inside." I heard Mom say, snapping me out of my mental state. I opened the car door, grabbed my dance bag from the trunk, and rushed inside, not even bothering to wait for Kenz.

"Hey Maddie!" Gianna said happily, giving me a wave. I mumbled a quick "hey" in return as I ran into the Dancer's Den to get changed. Once I finished, I pulled my hair into a ponytail and sat down on a mat, scrolling through Twitter on my phone.

I heard the door to the den open and small footsteps rush inside. I looked up to see Kenzie changing into her California Kisses dance wear, a slightly annoyed look plastered on her face. I knew she was probably mad at me for leaving her in the parking lot and not even giving her a second thought when I ran inside the building.

"Hey Kenz," I said quietly. She looked up at me while brushing her curled hair into a high ponytail, waiting for me to continue. "I'm sorry for leaving you outside. I'm just stressed."

She gave me a sad smile and nodded her head. "It's fine, Madz. I'm stressed too."

I opened my mouth to continue speaking to her when the door opened. I whipped my head over to see Chloe, Paige, Kendall, and Nia walk in with their dance bags over their shoulders. Paige gave me a smirk as she waltzed past me to go change. I sighed, already adding another way to murder her slowly to my list.

"What are you smiling about?" Chloe sneered at me, forcing my attention on her. I quickly dropped my face into a bored expression. I didn't even realize I had been smiling.

"That's for me to know and you to not find out." I answered with a smirk. Chloe's face went from satisfied to angry when she heard my reply. She was about to say something when the door to Studio A opened and Abby's head popped in, stopping her from throwing an insult my way.

Thank you, Miss Abby!

"Maddie, Studio A. Mackenzie, Studio B. Everyone else in Studio C." Abby commanded, causing everyone to run to a studio. I followed Abby inside of Studio A and faced her with a smile.

"Alright. So, we're gonna work on your solo, 'Atlas', today. You ready?" Abby asked. I nodded and ran to my beginning position in the middle of the floor, waiting for my music and rehearsal to begin.
..........
"Great job, Maddie! Grab a drink and send in your sister." Abby said after I ran my solo for the millionth time today. I walked out of Studio A and into Studio B, where I found Kenzie running her solo with Gia.

"Kenz, Abby wants you in A." I replied before turning on my heel and leaving the room. I went over to my dance bag in the Dancer's Den and grabbed my water bottle, taking small sips as I looked through my Instagram. I heard a door open and an annoying laugh that could only belong to Kendall follow it. Sure enough, I looked up to see Kendall walk in with Chloe right behind her.

"Ugh, I hope they disinfect that mat later. You've been touching it and who knows what diseases you have." Kendall said, throwing a disgusted look my way. I shot her a glare and continued going through my phone.

"Listen up, loser," Chloe hissed. I refused to look up because, well, I'm not a loser. "No matter what praise you get from Abby, your mom, or anybody, they mean nothing. You'll never be good enough. Just face it." She then flipped her hair and sashayed into the bathroom, Kendall behind her.

I looked over at the bathroom door and sighed, tears threatening to spill down my face.

Will I never be good enough?
______________________
Music for Maddie's solo on the side.