5: Night

The stars above twinkled gently as a breeze passed by, carrying the loose bits of nature with it. The moonlight cast down on the Earth, illuminating it with a strangely warm presence. 

A castle sat, the night was upon the Earth and everyone was asleep.

All, but one. 

Alex, at the very top of the castle's towers, sat in a chair, reading through multiple books. It was always lonely, but preferable to sleeping with the husband she didn't love. 

But tonight, she wasn't going to be alone, she expected a guest. Every now and then she'd glance over to the balcony, only to see nothing and going back to her book. She took a sip of her tea, flipping another page.

Fairytale books. She reads them despite not being able to relate. Other girls talking about how they related to Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, or even Beauty and the Beast. Alex always felt a little concerned for the girls that said they related to Sleeping Beauty, considering what happens in the actual book. She just assumes they never read the book and are going off of the stories told in the middle of town.

Alex always found enjoyment in the concept of a "happy ending", marrying away to a prince and becoming a princess to live happily ever after. She wished she could want that. 

She's read every single Fairytale book imaginable. She could not relate to a single one. One book she always has been drawn to, however, was one by the name of "Sappho's Fables", it's a forbidden fairytale book and yet she's curious of its contents. 

And eventually, was able to find it. 

It's the one fairytale book she hasn't read, and despite her curiosity, she's scared of what it says. 

It's hidden in her shelf, disguised as another story. Perhaps she'll read it some other night. 

Alex realized she had been zoning out, wondering about that book, she completely stopped reading the book in her lap. Before continuing, she heard a tapping sound. 

The princess looked over, out the balcony doors to see Jade standing there. Alex's face lit up as she closed the book and ran over to the balcony, throwing open the doors and embracing Jade into one giant bear hug, one that was returned with equal- or more- force.

"Hey, Alex!" The fairy greeted, her smile bright, "I've never been out of the fairy realm at night before..." 

Alex sits on the railing, looking up at the sky. Jade promptly sits next to her, gazing at the stars above with her. 

Time passed, funny how they agreed to meet up and all they've done was look at the beautiful stary night.

"Say, Jade, how's your relationship with Drake anyway?" Alex questions out of the blue, taking her eyes away from the stars to look over at the ravenette. Jade shrugged, "Pretty distant I'd say. We're friends but we don't really talk, we tolerate our existence and exchange a few jokes or so. He trains dragons and I get along with them more than him," she explained, her eyes not looking away from the sky, "even with the dragons, it's still pretty lonely."

Alex nods, not like Jade could notice it. "I know that feeling," the other mumbled, "all I've got is plants, at least the dragons can actually communicate with you." Jade chuckled, "Yeah...."

"What about you and Zach? Has it always been so disgusting for you?" Jade questions, glancing over to Alex, her head still turned to the night sky above. Alex shrugged, "Most girls are jealous of me, but I so badly want to change places. Ever since I met him I've always had this sort of..." Alex trailed off, looking down at the ground and putting her thumb to the tip of her mouth, thinking for a moment, "resented him?" She finishes, still unsure of her statement.

"I mean," she continued, "he's a sweet guy, don't get me wrong! But he's just... I don't know how to describe it, it feels wrong, gross, and I hate it. I wish I could switch spots with another one of the girls." 

Jade nods, wrapping an arm around Alex as Alex got closer, leaning her head on Jade's shoulder and looking to the floor, "To be honest, it feels like I can't fall in love at all," Alex admits. Jade looks at her. "I feel so weird for being like this. Do you think something's wrong with me, Jade?"

Jade contemplated for a minute, looking back to the sky and then back at Alex, "I don't think there's anything wrong with you," she states simply, "I feel the exact same way. I don't think I can fall in love, but you know what?"

"What?" Alex sits up a little and looks at Jade, face to face.

"Instead of fighting it, we should accept it. There's nothing wrong with it, we're just a little different, and what's the harm in that?" 

Alex sat and processed the words. It made her feel... accepted in a way. She had never before seen a person who understood and encouraged her. Maybe that's why she was so comftorable with Jade, despite only knowing her for a couple of days. 

"Stars sure are pretty, aren't they?" Jade questions, switching to a different topic. Alex smiled to her before looking up at the stary night above with her. "Sure is."

They stared for a good minute until Alex watched Jade reach her hand up, almost as if she were trying to grab one of the stars. A futile attempt. "Hey Alex, what do you think it's like? Up there, I mean. Beyond the sky, past the stars, what do you think we'd find if we soared all the way up there?" She asked, clearly lost in thought. Alex shrugged, "Who knows. I wonder that myself sometimes," The blonde admits, "I wonder what's up there, I wonder how far I'd have to go to reach the starts and then how far I'd go to reach beyond that."

She sighs, in defeat, "No matter how much I dream, I doubt I'll ever even touch the sky, for all I can do is jump."

Jade stands up on the railing, catching Alex's attention. "Jade-  that's dangerous!" She cried out, worried and earning a laugh from the fairy. "You can only jump, but I can fly," She states bluntly. Alex looks up at her confused only to be offered her hand and helped up on the railing.

Alex stumbled, looking down at the deep floor below, trying not to fall. She felt Jade grab her waist, "Don't worry, I'm here. You won't fall, I won't let you." 

It comforted Alex enough to relax. Jade then looked back up at the stars, the princess following her gaze. "Maybe, one day, we can fly up there together and see what's beyond those beautiful, twinkling stars." She offers, Alex laughs, "I can't fly though?" 

"I can carry you!" Jade exclaims, picking up Alex by her waist and fluttering into the air before placing Alex gently back down on the ground of her balcony. The two giggled, "That would be nice, getting out of here to reach those beautiful stars above," Alex comments, leaning on the railing and staring up at the sky.

Jade went behind Alex, resting her head on Alex's shoulder and hugging her from behind. "Luckily, we already have a beautiful star right here on Earth," she flirts, letting go of Alex and the two laughed it off like a joke because that's probably all it was. It would be weird if it weren't, Alex thought.

But at the same time, the comment made Alex's heart skip a beat. She shook it off, it meant nothing. Jade's a girl, it would be wrong to have feelings for her. Such a concept shouldn't even be conceived. 

Jade glanced up at the moon before gasping, "It's late, I've gotta go," she exclaims, fluttering into the air and looking back at Alex, who watched her from the balcony. "I wish I could stay longer, but both you and I need sleep."

Jade began to fly away, Alex reached out her hand, "Wait!" She shouted to the fairy. Jade looked back to the princess, a curious expression on her face. "Will I see you again tomorrow night?" Alex questioned. Jade smiled, "Of course!"

And like that, Jade was off somewhere in the forest as Alex watched the fairy disappear into the trees. She smiled, genuinely. Perhaps she'd take some of her advice. Alex wandered back into her room, shutting the wooden door behind her and flopping into her soft bed, and staring at the ceiling. 

Slowly, her eyes shut. Instead of falling asleep with a frown, the lingers of a smile rest on her face as she snuggled into the bed. She couldn't explain it, but it's the happiest she's ever been in years.

Could a friend really make her this happy?