thinking thoughts

News went around that I had woken up and many pack members visited me, even those whom I didn't know, but I noticed that after four in the afternoon, no one came

News went around that I had woken up and many pack members visited me, even those whom I didn't know, but I noticed that after four in the afternoon, no one came. I learned from Frances that Archer told the pack that they could visit me, but that no one was allowed to come after that time.

In a way, that made me feel thankful, although I still wasn't on good terms with him.

He visited every morning before he went training and every afternoon after he was finished with his work. Although when he came in the morning, I mostly pretended to be asleep and at the afternoon, we didn't really talk much.

"Did Archer come today?" Suzy asked as she was peeling oranges and handing them to me to eat.

I turned to face the Gamma's mate. "Yeah, this morning."

"You two are worrying me, you're here getting rested up while Archer is killing himself with work. How do you two even communicate."

I squinted my eyes at the girl. Sometimes her words were acid, but I know that she doesn't mean anything bad by it. She spoke her mind and she isn't sorry about, and perhaps it's what I needed.

"Well, fate is playing a game by having us as mates."

Suzy stops with the oranges and furrows her eyebrows at me. Oh damn it, did I think too loud?

"Oh don't say that, from what I see, you both need each other and match quite well. That doesn't mean that everything will be sailing well, though. People think that just because you're mates, everything will be perfect. Although you are bound by the mate bond, you still have to work to get to know and understand each other if you truly want to love each other."

Wise Suzy was back.

There were so many sides to her that it just made one chuckle. I smiled and let out a small laugh. And then I was back to staring out the window where a few teenage wolves were running around.

"I'm trying, Suzy. And Archer said that he was also trying, but it's hard to believe. I'm sure you know this, but it's hard to trust him when I'm constantly being reminded that I wasn't the first one who had his heart."

Without realizing it, I found myself opening up to Suzy.

Suzy turned me towards her and held my hand comfortingly before leading me to sit down on my bed.

"Look, it's not my story to tell, but I want you to know that Archer may have loved Jessica from the past, but that hasn't been the case for a long time now. The problem with Archer is that he feels responsible for how Jessica is right now and that's why this is how things are right now."

Feels responsible? Why would he?

And just like that, the Archer-Jessica question rolled in my head again and again and I found myself sighing.