stupid party

Every year, there is this big party that is being thrown for all young werewolf adults in hopes to facilitate finding their mates.

As you may already know, finding one's mate as a werewolf is primordial and essential to the very survival of our kind.

See, not finding your mate will cause you to go insane and weak. This rarely ever happens, but when it does, they will become Omegas of the lowest level until they find their mate. Some people who don't find their mate at a certain age will be forced to mate with someone else if they wanted to keep sane.

I attended the stupid party when I just turned an adult as my parents forced me to go. Fortunately, I did not find my mate there.

See, I'm not too excited about meeting my mate. I want to live a free life first, I want to go where I want go and do the things I need to do first.

Having a mate must be great, but I have other plans before I meet whoever he is.

After the very first party that I attended, I didn't attend anymore. Two years has since passed.

But my two year streak of not attending was lost when my mother dear decided that I absolutely had to attend this one. She and I made a deal.

"Alright, if you promise me that you will attend this year, your dad and I will not bother you about it ever again. Even your brother." she said. My ears and eyes perked up.

A golden opportunity.

They were going to stop nagging me about finding my mate. My ears won't bleed from their incessant reminders!

But wait— what if I find my mate there?

No, no, no. I already went before and he wasn't there. Plus, it's mostly the same people that attend every year so there shouldn't be much changes.

Yeah, pfft, no. There's no way he'll be there.

"Deal." I gambled.

And so, here I am. Standing at one of the corners of the room, with a cup of punch in my hand.

The big ballroom was filled with people, the lights were dim, stupidly dim may I emphasize, thank goodness for night vision and there was the loud music playing.

I've been here for an hour and so far, there were no signs of my potential mate which relieved me tons.

"Hazel, are you really just going to stand there all night?" Quincy asked taking my other hand and tried grabbing me to the centre.

Due to her pulling me, the cup of punch spilled a bit everywhere. Realizing, she immediately stopped.

"Quincy, look at the mess you've made! Hazel needs to look perfect for her mate!" Caroline seconded and I turn towards her.

"Aw, c'mon. A drop of punch can't ruin Hazel. She's perfect the way she is. I bet your mate will be a hottie." she whispers causing the three of us to giggle.

In fact, Caroline has already found her mate. I only convinced her to come with Quincy and I to make sure that Quincy doesn't get too wild. She tends to do that especially at the presence of alcoholic beverages.

"And I bet your mate is an Alpha." Caroline seconded with a touch of a dreamy voice.

I quickly give her a reprimanding look. "No, he will not be. He will be a regular pack wolf and we will live simple pack life." I say as I give her my cup of punch. "I'm suffocating in here, I'm going to go out for a bit."

"You're no fun Hazel!" Quincy retorted and I just laughed at her while shaking my head. Wrong, this is just not my idea of fun.

With that, I pushed myself out of the crowd. I passed by some guys asking for a dance, but I kept on.