6. Holy Stuff (Melissa)

I was 5 feet 4 inches with a Lil’ Kim-type body without the plastic surgery. Men always said that I looked like Toni Braxton but sexier. I knew that already.

Duh! I was too pretty for my own good. Keeping well onto my secret, one I couldn’t bring myself to think about, I walked up the long concrete walk-way towards the filled-to-capacity church on a very glorious Sunday.

Palm and oak trees were all around me and the enormous old building. The sun was hot, the air was crisp and I smelled the scent of rain and well-cut grass.

The sky was cloudy, some black clouds on the horizon.

I was tired from club hopping all night Saturday and didn’t get home to my house from South Beach, until about 5 a.m. in the morning.

I got some sleep, but I had to get up at ten a.m. to come to Sunday School. I couldn’t miss it.

I grew up in church, like the average
American child from the ghetto. My parents used to own a church, both serving as Pastors.

They were very respectful and respected. That was until I did something naughty and it crashed the church to hell.

Someone caught me playing with my pussy in the Pastor’s Chambers and the rumor mill crushed my parents’ organization to shreds.

I gave up on praising God for the next few years. I didn’t want to have anything to do with Holy stuff.

But something in me wouldn’t let me give up. Maybe it was the faith of a mustard seed that never grew past a tree.

Now, in the five years I have been going to this church I never came to Sunday School.

Never!

I didn’t have the desire to attend them like I used to when I was a promising, easily impressionable teenager.

Why would I want to study with a bunch of people I saw in the neighborhood?

Just didn’t thrill me. I did come to the Main Service. And I never returned for the Evening Service at 6 P.M.

That was just too much gahdamn church for me. I really didn’t care for fellowship at the present time. I had my reasons.

And I wouldn’t change my mind.

When I first started going here, I was 18 years old. I was young, dumb and full of come.

I came to find some moneyed grown men to take home.

I searched for dick like free money back then. I was not going to lie. But the Word of God hit me and I changed my mind.

I actually got saved and tried to do the right thing.

Prior to attending this church I had gone to one in Carol City. I was around, say, 13 years old.

I attended bible study, which took place after Sunday School.

Mama didn’t really force me to go.