Chapter 49

Pearl of the East

Everyone disagreed. Some called me irrational, egoistic, dictator and a worthless President, for giving an order which will seriously put the lives of my men in uncertainty.

But I chose not to mind it. You will never conquer something without sacrificing a thing.

And also, if I'm not going to act now then who will? Throughout the passed generation, people in this country became a slave of their own fears and beliefs.

Everyone believes that Philippines is nothing but a country with the weakest force. And it needs to be stopped.

It was such an overwhelming feeling of honor that Lapu-lapu fought for Mactan centuries ago. He became the first hero, the first man who showed valor.

He was never threatened by Magellan's sword and by his army. Instead, he fought for his homeland. But it is such disappointing that his lurching became in vain when the Filipinos let their fears overwhelm them when the Spaniards succesfully took colony in their own land.

Kung sana ay naging matapang ang lahat ng mga panahong iyon ay hindi sana umabot sa ilang daang taon ang pang-aalipin ng mga Espanyol sa bansa natin.

But it takes one Dr. Jose Rizal for them to have courage on breaking their walls of fears, which hindered them to stand on their own shoes and protect their land.

But what if Dr. Jose Rizal didn't have the courage to sacrifice his life and wrote the novels which opened the eyes of many Filipinos that time? What if the heroes didn't fought for our country's freedom? What if they let their fears live in them? Will we have our freedom right now?

Definitely not. And the situation now is just like that.

Paano kung hindi ko ilalaban ang karapatan ng Pilipinas sa West Philippine Sea? There's a great probability that the next generation can do nothing but to look at West Philippine Sea as the South China Sea.

And that's my point here. I am not only looking at the present but also in the future.

I want everyone to know that we shouldn't let ourselves be enslaved with our own fears and stupid beliefs.

I am a Filipina and I will fight, just like how Gabriela Silang fought for freedom.

Kailangan kong tumayo sa sarili kong mga paa. Kailangan kong imulat ang mga mata ng karamihan na hindi tayo Pilipino kung wala tayong tapang.

Dahil palagi na lamang naduduwag ang bansa natin. Naduduwag na ipagtanggol ang sariling atin. Dahil kesyo mahina ang pwersa ng sandatahang lakas ng Pilipinas, walang automatic na mga gamit pandigma, at walang matataas na kalibre ng baril.

Kaya hahayaan na lamang ba nating unti-unting angkinin ng ibang bansa ang teritoryo natin? And then what's next? Kapag napasok na nila ang pinakamalawak na karagatan na sakop ng bansa natin, ano na ang susunod?

If they had already unsurped the island which greatly contributes to our country's economy, then what's next? I assumed China were taking a baby steps in entering our country. And I can't let it.

Filipinos need to learn how to fight for their land. Filipinos need to learn how to raise the dignity of our country's flag.

They need to wake up from their own deliria that our country is weak and we can't fight against other country that is much more powerful compared to us. Because the true strength of a Filipino doesn't depend on the high quality and automatic weapons they have on their hand. But it's our undying fire of courage inside us that no one can efface.

Filipinos are brave and strong—mostly it's soldiers.

Like what General McArthur qouted that, “Give me 10,000 Filipino soldiers and I will conquer the world,"