October 31, 1984

Lily Potter stood beside her son's crib, smiling down at him. It had been the first Halloween that she had been able to share with her whole family, and it would be one to remember. The evening had started at four when Sirius Black arrived and dropped off Harry, who was extremely happy showing off his chocolate cover face. After cleaning him up, Lily dressed Harry in his Superman costume, and they hit the streets. James followed after them, pushing the pram where little Harvey Potter slept under James' careful eye. Trick or treating had gone exceptionally well, and Harry was so exhausted that he fell asleep in Lily's arms as they walked home.

The rest of the evening had been peaceful and relaxed as Lily watched Harry play with his younger brother. It made her heart swell to see how excited Harry seemed to be about being a big brother, and it was utterly adorable to watch Harry cover Harvey's face with kisses. She hoped that their bond would remain strong as they grew up.

After an early dinner, Harry followed Lily upstairs as she carried Harvey to his room, singing the same lullaby she had sung to Harry when he was a babe. "Hush, little baby, don't say a word. Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird. And if that mockingbird won't sing, Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring." Lily placed Harvey down in the crib and pulled the blanket that James' mum had sewn for him up, and tucked him in. "And if that diamond ring turns brass, Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass. And if that looking glass gets broke, Mama's gonna buy you a Billy goat." She glanced down at Harry, who stood at her side. His small hands wrapped around the bars, his eyes drooping as a big yawn escaped him. Without stopping the lullaby, she bent down and picked him up. "And if that Billy goat won't pull, Mama's gonna buy you a cart and bull. And if that cart and bull turn over, Mama's gonna buy you a dog named Rover."

Harry nuzzled his face into Lily's shoulder and tangled his fingers into her long red hair.

She stepped out of Harvey's room and made it down the hall to Harry's bedroom. "And if that dog named Rover won't bark, Mama's gonna buy you a horse and cart. And if that horse and cart fall down, you'll still be the sweetest little baby in town." As she sang the final word, she knelt down onto Harry's bed and laid him down.

He looked up at her with sleepy eyes and said, "Mummy?"

Lily pushed his hair from his eyes. "Yes, baby?"

"Is Harvey going to live with me and Dad?" asked Harry.

Lily tried to keep the smile on her face. Her heart ached at the clear attachment that Harry had developed for his brother. It had only been the second time that Harry had spent any time around Harvey, but he seemed to love him. In the three months since Harvey had been born, Harry had only stayed twice. His regular sleepover schedule had been disrupted first when Harvey had been born. Sirius had insisted that she spend a few weeks with James and Harvey and get settled, and then Harvey had his first cold. It had meant that his weekly weekend stays hadn't been as weekly. She had missed her son greatly and seeing how instead of rejecting the idea of a brother, he had latched onto him and didn't seem to want to let him go.

Stroking Harry's forehead, Lily said, "No, baby. Harvey is going to live with James and me."

Harry frowned. "But he is my brother."

Lily nodded. "Yes, but he is also James' son. Imagine how much James would miss Harvey if he wasn't here."

Harry's small frown seemed to deepen. "But you are my mum, and you don't live with me."

The words cut deep. Harry's whole life, he had bounced back and forth between his parents, and his existence had created a divide. To James, Harry was a constant reminder that Lily had cheated on James with his best friend.