The almost boyish glee and excitement.

It was usually there whenever he spoke to me, but nowadays it was different.

Nowadays it was unbridled and unhidden in every way that it had to be prior.

Which in turn made all of these kind and complimentary words affect me that much more.

Now that I could physically hear how much he meant them.

Which was strange given how I hadn't yet learned how to handle the words he'd say prior without getting flustered in one way or another.

I hadn't put any sort of makeup on, so he knew the blush on my face was genuine as I turned away.

"Nico I-" I spoke with a slight laugh, trying to play it off until the hand that held mine soon softly found itself on my chin.

He turned my head back so I faced him again, bringing me a step closer.

"I'm serious," he began with that still lingering calm elation, "I still can't believe that this is real. That you're a vampire and that we're all about to feast in celebration of that with a family I know will love you almost as much as I do. That I get to stand here and see you like this and know without a doubt that you're my future and there's nothing left that can stop me from having that with you. That after everything we went through together, it worked out in the end, and even my brother got a happy ending. It's all just-"

He let out a quick exhale, shaking his head a bit as his hand moved to cup my cheek.

"It's all too good to be true, and I sometimes catch myself thinking that this is all going to disappear and I'm just gonna wake up in that freezing cell, left to only dream of an outcome like this." His voice softened and strained, causing an ache in my chest.

Yet that smile never left his face.

"Nico," my hands found the vest that he wore over his deep maroon dress shirt, trying to ground him to the reality that I was here.

I knew more than most the effect the consequences of having to go through something that he did.

I think we were both well aware of the fact that certain things would be haunting him for a while, and I wanted him to be able to rely on me whenever it did.

Still, I know the absolute last thing he wanted was pity.

Despite the weight of his words, his spirits were high.

He was happy and that's what mattered right now.

"We'll make your father pay for that in one way or another, you've just gotta help me figure out how and when," I said.

I rejoiced in hearing his laughter. That being the one thing that I was aiming for.

"One day, But that's a conversation for a later date. For now, though I just want to focus on you," He drew a step back and extended his hand for my own, "You ready? I'm sure everyone else is waiting for us."

I turned to look myself in the mirror one last time before intertwining our fingers with a nod.

With that, he took the liberty of leading us up to the dining room we had sat in so many times before.

This time with me by his side instead of a step behind, and with my head held high with every guard we passed.

I let go of his hand for just a second, opting to link our arms together instead.

He didn't dispute one bit, placing a kiss on my forehead as we approached the designated doors.

The two guards that stood outside of it bowed as we did, each of them grabbing a handle before the doors opened before us.

Four pairs of smiling eyes placed themselves upon us as we took our first steps in, The excitement in both Doe and Xander's eyes, and the pride in Caroline and Daniels.

Every haunting thought seemed to just diminish at the sight of this alone.

The sight of amazing people, friends, and future family alike, all finally being able to see us for what we are.

Nico gave my arm a squeeze, before the guard on my left spoke, formally announcing our arrival to commence this designated new beginning.

"Presenting, Prince Nicholas Vanderwood, and the newly appointed, Princess Khloe Cardinal."

~~~

End of book 2 lol

Wasn't THAT a wild ride.

Anyways more info on the future of this series and whatnot will be in the next chapter sometime in the near future...