𝒗. practical joke war

Start from the beginning

         "i was actually one of the nice girls, even to the guys who made assumptions about other people. guys like you." she responded.

         "guys like me?" the hazel eyed man repeated. "well, i'll have you know that my social standing increased once i started winning at basketball."

         a quiet snicker left olivia's mouth, "oh, yeah, you played basketball?"

        "i didn't play, i coached basketball." spencer replied, the two adults making eye contact with one another. "i broke down the opposing team's strategy."

         olivia glared at him before speaking up, "wait, is that why morgan kicked you out of the pool last week?"

         "yeah, it took him three rounds to realize i was hustling him." spencer said, looking back down at crime scene photos.

         "huh." she muttered to herself. at least she had a conversation with him that went well, except for the fact he called her a mean girl. but it was progress nonetheless.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

hotch, spencer, rossi, morgan, and olivia were grouped together in their workspace for the case. spencer was explaining recent details about the unsub that he has figured out. occasionally, his eyes would subconsciously shift in olivia's direction. and every time, she didn't seem to notice as she was analyzing the new crime scene photos.

a piece of the right side of her hair was tucked behind her ear, revealing her facial features on the right side of her face from where spencer was standing. a blazer over a simple white turtleneck with a matching high waisted dress pants. despite spencer still not being quite keen on olivia, it's like his eyes would always find their way on her.

"it must take a major toll on someone's emotional development." rossi commented after spencer's explanation. then, his phone started ringing. olivia has took note of the multiple times spencer's phone has been ringing for almost the entire case. she was starting to get sick of hearing the constant beeping. however, the ringing didn't seem to bother the rest of the group since they didn't even bat an eye. "a significant contributor to our sense of empathy is the way we personally experience pain." morgan said.

hotch added on his sentence, "and the unsub didn't develop his sense of empathy because it was cut off. does every person with asymbolia have this?"

"actually, most feel empathy just fine, which makes me think the rest of our profile is still accurate. loner, invisible, outcast, boiling rage --" spencer began. he was interrupted by the sound of his phone ringing, "son of a bitch!" he cursed.

the sound of spencer reid cursing resulted in olivia putting all her attention on him. she was taken aback by the sudden verbal action. the three other male adults watched as spencer answered his phone, clearly agitated. "hi! this is dr. spencer reid. i actually can come to the phone right now with a very special message that your mother is a --"

"reid." hotch cut him off before he could say anything else. olivia's eyes were slightly widened at spencer's unexpected behavior, a small smile of amusement noticeably suppressed on her lips as she went back to looking at the crime scene photos.

spencer hung up the phone, "sorry, i'm really sorry. i don't know what got into me. where were we?" olivia glanced at morgan to see a similar facial expression to her's. she had guessed maybe morgan had something to do with why spencer kept getting phone calls.

"i'm going to have garcia check medical records. what causes asymbolia?" hotch asked.

as spencer answered, he caught a glimpse of morgan glancing at him before looking away. his eyes trailed to olivia, a refrained grin on her face while looking through the files. he looked at morgan once more to find the same refrained grin. "s-severe trauma produces lesions in the insular cortex, usually after a stroke. but this unsub is so young, it's most likely caused by an external factor."

morgan then glanced at olivia, knowing she knows he's the reason for spencer's outburst. spencer took note of the small interaction between the two, making him think they both had something to do with it. then rossi spoke, slightly interrupting his thoughts, "like a bomb going off next to him?"

"yeah, a bomb going off next to him." spencer replied to rossi, though glaring at the two adults. coincidentally, they both looked up at him simultaneously, the same expression they've had for the past few minutes.

hotch left the area to call penelope, as spencer began cleaning the table a bit. he swept the files and photos from olivia's sight, causing her to look up at him. "i will crush you both." he muttered, loud enough that the two adults heard him.

"what?" morgan asked.

to which spencer quickly responded and pretended as if he didn't threaten them, "what?" then, he left the area.

olivia turned to morgan as he did the same, "you had something to do with that, didn't you?"

"seems like pretty boy thinks you have something to do with it too." he replied, a slight grin on his face.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

after successfully solving the case, the team were on their way back to quantico on their jet. jj was in the back eating a bag of cheetos, while olivia sat next to morgan who was listening to music. across from morgan was rossi, and next to him was spencer who was sleeping as emily and hotch sat with each other.

the sounds of shouting came from morgan's headphones, resulting the attention of olivia and rossi. "okay, kid, that was cute. but that's all you got?" morgan said to reid.

he let out a soft, fake snore in response. then, morgan's phone rang. he answered his phone, thinking it was penelope garcia, but it was just loud screaming noises from spencer again heard from the other end.

a faint chuckle was heard from spencer as a small smile formed upon his lips. rossi waved a white napkin, indicating if anyone wanted to give up. morgan shook his head, "all right, reid, it's on. just know that paybacks are a bitch." he told him, another fake snore coming out as a response from spencer.

         olivia then pulled out a book from her bag and opened to the page she last read. she found scribble marks in black marker ink drawn on corners of the page. she flicked through the book and saw mostly all the pages had scribbles on them. some of them being actual words, and some of them being plain scribbles and doodles. the last page of the book read, "sorry to ruin your book, but never wage a practical joke war against an M.I.T. graduate, because we have a history of going nuclear. you could probably get a new book though :)"

         a quiet scoff left olivia's mouth. morgan looked at her then the book she was holding, and found the message spencer had left her. "really? how many times do i have to tell you i had nothing to do with it?" she rhetorically asked spencer.

         "you can always join in on our joke war if you want, liv." morgan offered.

         "yeah, i will actually. thank you." she replied in an ascending tone of voice, with a grin glued on her face as morgan gave her a high five.

ANGIE'S NOTES ☺︎︎
team moriffins or boy genius🤨⁉️
i personally am on team chocolate
thunder and pretty girl🙄🤞