Chapter Twenty-one: The New Home

Start from the beginning

The shed was where I stored all of my work clothing and tools. It had an assortment of weapons and different types of armor, as well as a large variety of bandanas; even though I value keeping my name a secret, I have never been one for a consistent mask. I usually just tie a black piece of cloth over my face and put on a hoodie. People recognize me through my voice and the black rose that I leave behind, not from a costume. One benefit of this is that, if caught in a suspicious area, there would be nothing incriminating about my uniform - because Viper doesn't have one.

I look away from Jewel and casually survey the living room that we're in. It's so - so stiff. I'm going to have to get some paint or something to make this place a little more home-y for me. I also definitely need to order some better couches. "How long can you stay?"

Jewel hesitates before she answers. "I kind of have to leave tonight. I - the factory doesn't really have vacation days for people sneaking out of the district."

A small snort leaves my mouth. "That's more than enough time. I've got nothing to do today, though; you did what I was planning on doing."

"What, move all your shit?" She asks and I nod. "Well, you still need to look around. Let me give you a tour!" Jewel jumps to her feet.

I smile at her enthusiasm and stand. I've sat enough in this living room to realize that there is a set of french doors that lead into what I think is a kitchen. Jewel walks towards them instantly and I follow her. Sure enough, there is a pretty large sized kitchen, complete with a stove top, oven, dishwasher, and a hearty amount of cabinet space.

I stop and survey the area as Jewel starts talking. "It came with plates and utensils and things, but they're all grey."

It's a nice room, at least double the size of my other one. But, like she said, it has the same pristine vibe of the living room. The cabinets are made of glass, so the depressing colored plates are visible. I look at all of the details for a long moment before my eyes move on to the next location. "Why does the capitol have such a boring color palette?"

Jewel snorts. "They love their eccentric outfits so much that I think they don't want their homes reflecting that."

I turn.

This isn't really just a kitchen. Away from the appliances, there is a long wooden table. It's flanked by six red chairs, the only bright color that I've noticed has been added to this house. There are three paper bags on the dining room table that I walk towards, frowning.

I pull open one of the bags and realize that it's food. There is a loaf of bread sticking out of it and, as I sift through the bag, there are also eggs, some jams, and a wrapped up package that I assume is a piece of meat or fish. "I - did you get me food?"

"Yeah. It should last you a couple days." I look over to Jewel to see her scratching the back of her neck. There is a moment of silence between us before she speaks again. "I figured your district members wouldn't like to see you out and about."

I nod to that wordlessly.

After another brief pause, I move back into the living room. Right next to the entrance of the kitchen is a small hallway that has two doors on either side. I go towards the right one and turn the doorknob, opening it up to reveal a bedroom.

"How white." I remark, earning a chuckle. My eyes snake around this bedroom. It's pretty airy, with three different windows that each have a good view of the lake. This one is white themed, with an all white bed and extremely light grey dressers. I turn away pretty quickly and look over to Jewel, who was sticking her head in next to me to see the room. "Do you know how many bedrooms there are?"