Chapter Twenty-one: The New Home

Start from the beginning

"Sorry for-"

"That sounds like a yes." I turn and, without even saying goodbye, I walk over to the house.

He's too skeptical for his own good. I'm going to have to keep tabs on him.

It takes me a few moments to stick the key in the lock and figure out how to open the door. My other house wasn't locked with a key, so I honestly don't think I've used one in a while. I eventually get it open and step into the entrance level of the house. It looks to be only two stories, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was a basement or even some sort of attic.

The door closes behind me and I step into the house. The lights turn on automatically as I do so, allowing me to survey what I entered into. The house leads straight into what looks to be a living room. It's actually pretty furnished, complete with a few black couches, a marble table, and an elaborate looking chandelier. This is classic capitol deco -

My train of thought disappears completely as my eyes zero in on one of the couches. Or, more specifically, on the person sitting on it.

Jewel looks more tired than normal. She's got her hair down, and it is messily framing her face, adding to the general vibe of stress and worry that is emanating from her. Her eyes are trained on me and, when I notice her, she offers me a weak smile. "Hey, Kai."

A small sigh exits me. "I guess you win our bet."

She lets out a small snort. "Guess so."

We had a bet that she would find out who I was. I wasn't worried about it, because I knew that Jewel would never actually invade my privacy like that. She was too close to me to understand just how much I valued my anonymity.

Jewel is one of the few informants that I've recruited to supply me with information. She is housed in District One, and she spends her days working in one of the jewelry factories there - keeping her ears peeled for information that I would value. But, more importantly, she is one of the few people who Viper would consider a friend. I found her when she was in a bad patch and helped her get back onto her feet, providing her power and a place in the criminal world of Panem. Through that, she became one of the few people who I trusted and cared for. She's seen my face - she once helped me sew a cut on it - so it makes sense that she would make the connection that I, Kai, am Viper.

It is surprising to see her here, though.

"What, um, it's good to see you." I start, walking further into the room and over to her. I drop the keys that I'm holding off on the large marble table in front of the couch before sitting down next to her. I take a seat on the couch and shift so that my head is facing her. It looks just as stiff as it feels. "Why are you here, though?"

I've never asked her to travel anywhere except the capitol. In fact, I doubt that she's ever been to District Four.

She bites her lip. "I figured I should check in."

I exhale at that. Jewel will be able to see through my lie if I say that I'm okay. But, what should I even say? That I can't sleep because I'm being haunted by the face of a child whose death I caused? That I'm drowning in regret over choosing to side with Snow and to follow through with my deal. That I feel like I have no purpose left - that I really valued my life more than James.

Concern takes over her face at my lack of an immediate answer, but she lets me collect my thoughts and speak.

I look away from her as I talk. I basically avoid her question entirely. "I made a deal with Snow, you know."

"You did? Does he know that you're Viper?" She asks, thankfully ignoring my lack of response to her original question.

I nod. "I told him before the games. I - I knew I'd win the games when my name was drafted. I mean - of course I would. I kill people for a living." I go silent at that, choosing to continue after a brief pause. "And I knew that he would figure out who I was during the games, so I decided to tell him before that happened and strike a deal with him."