Rumors had formed then, that he didn't really care at all for his ex-fiancée, that he was glad that she's disappeared, because he didn't care to answer those who asked him.

But in his mind, he's just very tired of hearing the same words over and over again.

Why did she leave you?

Why did she call off your engagement?

Weren't you two a thing before? Was it just an act?

Were you just fooling around with her?

Lies. All lies.

Of course, he cared. Of course, he's not glad she disappeared.

He's unhappy, sorrowful, heartbroken at the fact that she left Seoul because of him.

But he didn't have to tell the whole world that. They didn't deserve it.

What most people don't know is that when his grandmother informed him that night that she had left, he drove to her mansion the very next minute.

He most likely flew at how fast he'd arrived there, banging on the front door, shouting her name over and over again. When he'd been let inside, he ran towards every room, every corner where she could possibly be, but he didn't find her.

He'd asked all the housekeepers where she was but they had no idea.

Her room was void of her. Her bed was there, her vanity desk and study table were there, but there were no sheets, no make-up, no things. No clothes in her wardrobe, no shoes or bags, no nothing.

She'd moved out of their house, and he'd never cried so hard at the thought of her disappearing just like that. No trace of her left anywhere.

Even her best friend doesn't know, or he assumes that Hana's just keeping it a secret. But she wouldn't tell him even if he begs for it (which admittedly, he did).

So the hope that he was holding onto-the hope that he could talk to her, that he could apologize to her, that he could make things right with her-is crushed.

There's no way he could do those things now, because she left for good. And he feels like his life is meaningless now.

Needless to say, he really did his best in looking for her. But maybe his best isn't enough.

He had asked all of the people who could've known where she is, hopeful that perhaps she'd left a clue. Perhaps it's a puzzle that she'd wanted him to solve on his own. But there were none.

His friends don't know, her friends have no idea, and even the seniors who have already graduated didn't know a single thing of her whereabouts. Of course that excludes her own brother, Doyoung. But he's obviously out of the question.

He had even considered asking Jaehyun, the one person he'd stopped talking to due to his extreme jealousy towards him. The older boy understood him back then, giving him the space he needed. But after that, Haechan didn't really reach out to him, and they stopped being friends.

At the last minute, when he's about to call him, he'd hesitated, ashamed of his past actions towards his older friend.

He couldn't do it, he couldn't bring himself to talk to Jaehyun, he couldn't bring himself to ask about Saemi.

And maybe that's why his best isn't nearly enough.

When he arrives at his father's office, he does his routine which includes paperwork, lunch, another paperwork, a little bit of free time, more paperwork, and then straight back home.