✰CaPtAiN AgAin ✰

Start from the beginning

Shehbaz was right behind her, suppressing a smile as I placed the picture back on the table.

I left her with Shehbaz and Asim to roam aimlessly in the living room when I felt myself trip down and an arm caught me.

"Amma!"

Paras burst into a short chuckle at the surprise on my face as I registered that Sidharth had intentionally placed his foot in the way to make me stumble.

"Happy birthday," He whispered inaudibly as Paras vacated his place next to him.

My eyes immediately snapped back at him and he smiled, placing a soft kiss on my palm. As if I was some little child. I shrugged off his grip on my arm and stood up, "Thank you."

I felt weird around him now. There was no sense of familiarity around him anymore. He had such a massive problem with me that he couldn't even stay until I'd cut the cake and now he was wishing me in the afternoon obligatorily because I was a housemate.

 Hina was somewhat right, I didn't have any self-respect when it comes to Sidharth Shukla. if he'd simply beckon me over to him right now, I'd go back to him in a heartbeat the rest be damned. But he was being nice out of sympathy that it was my birthday. I didn't want him to pretend to like me. It was revolting.

Iss chakkar mey, I almost forgot that I had the task of dividing duties among everyone until Rashami reminded me.

"Aur mey aur Asim bedroom kar rahe hai," Rashami added.

"Aise kaise?" Mahira had overheard this one statement of Rashami's and now was screaming at her at the top of her lungs.

I took a silent deep breath to keep my patience intact and separated the duo, "Suno, suno ab sab ko Mahira ki khaana se koi problem nahi hai toh Mahira ko lunch and dinner me dal rahi hoon, agar tumme koi takleef na ho to..." I addressed her and she nodded in the affirmative, "Aur Asim do hafte se sirf bathroom kar raha hai toh usko bedroom  aur living room de raha hoon, okay?"

"Toh mey bhi karunga uske saath!" Paras intruded and I wanted to roll my eyes. His connection didn't even vote for me and yet he was so entitled that he wanted the best.

After some squabble, we settled the duties accordingly with as much compromise as I could. Mahira, Devo and Arti for the cooking; Vishal and his brother for the bathroom, Paras and Shefali for the living room,  Sidharth, Akash and Asim for the bedroom and since nobody wanted to do the dishes I opted to do it with Shehbaz twice a day. 

Then I begged Vishal to help me do the dishes at night and Vishal muttered something under his breath and disappeared on me.

"Mey karlunga bartan," A voice spoke from behind me and I whirled around.

Aakash.

"Ji, thank you! Sirf raat ka karna hai aap ko."

"Haan, mey do phair mey bhi madhar karungi aapko."

Was this man really Mahira's brother?

I was still reeling in surprise that Akash offered to help me out of the blue when Arti tapped my shoulder. 

She glanced at her reflection in the mirror and adjusted her thigh-length denim jumper before addressing me: "Sid ko kya duty diya?" 

"Wahi toh bola na maine, sirf bedroom..."

"Woh keh rahe hai ki jisne bhi duty di, woh usko directly bole yeh baat.Tum uske saath discuss nahi kiya na," she replied, leaning against the half ajar glass door.

"Matlab? " I ask, confused, "Par maine acche duty toh di, jo woh hamesha karta hai..."

"Pata nahi, he wants you to assign his duties to him directly.," Arti shrugged," Khud baat karle usse."

I hesitated, I didn't want to exactly chit chat with him now.

As if reading my thoughts, Arti spoke, "Abhi jaa, bahar hai."

"Nahi, mujhe nahi jaana," I mumbled making her laugh and hold my wrist, "Kyun?"

She tugged at my hand and I pulled back making her laugh again.

"Tumhe khaa thodi jayega woh?"

"Arti, Captain ko yeh bhi bol do ki until I'm personally assigned work, mey kuch bhi nahi karunga kal se. Aisa thodi hota hai bina discussion ki," Sidharth spoke from the green bed, nonchalantly lounging amidst Paras,Shefali,Kashmera and Vikas.

I apologise to all my native Hindi and Punjabi readers for attempting to murder their language. Please don't kill me _/\_ I absolutely love these languages, I'm still learning and I wouldn't mind any critique on the writing, or any suggestions as well!  It's all your amazing comments that make me eager to update <3