Chapter 3

~Elle~

I decided that I would forget the voice. It hadn't come back for days, and I was starting to think I had imagined it. The whispers in my voices continued to grow in my mind like they had always done, getting louder and louder, then slowly fading away, then repeating. I was used to the rhythm of the words, to the constant insecurity. Somehow, hearing everyone else's insecurities helped mine from spilling out myself.

I was walking through the halls of my school, thinking and just walking. I was headed in the direction of my first class, Algebra. I listened to the voices passing by me, both in my mind and out. The words mixed in with eachother some of them repeating themselves. I could feel the rhythm of my steps and the whispers bounce through my body, moving in harmony. They were a part of me, I knew that, and I couldn't live without them.

I chose a seat near the back of the class and listened while the voices slowly dimmed in my mind as the class grew silent. I watched the others struggle through their math problems, at their ability to focus on one thing. I never had any trouble with school. The answers just came to me, but I would never know what it was like to be able to simply look at a problem and think about only that.

I tapped my pencil on my desk, staring out the window. What made me so different? Why me? There was a reason I could hear all of these voices. It wasn't a mistake, someone out there knew what I was going through, knew what I heard. I couldn't be the only one.

~Mikhail~

The waves pounded on the shore, reaching for my legs, begging me to come join them. I stared out at the sea, enjoying the quiet. I was alone on the beach waiting for an explanation, for a reason. I didn't want this power. I wanted my thoughts to myself. I didn't want anyone else to hear them. I couldn't let myself use this power.

I knew that I was the one who was speaking to the boy. I didn't say a word, but I spoke. I didn't know how I did it, but I know that I did. I had more than I thought I had.

I didn't know what came over me, and all I remember was being completely focused on stopping his brother, making him see that he needed help. And one thought came into my mind, a clear whisper.

Let him help you.

As soon as I thought it, it was gone. It was like it left my brain, floated away to a new owner. I blinked and glanced around. The boy was looking frantic. I frowned. Then it came back to me. He had heard.

What had I done?

I tried it again one more time, to see if I was right. I focused my mind on one thought and directed it at someone. I felt the sensation that the thought had left me again, and I saw her stumble in utter shock.  

I grew terrified. I ran. I didn't know what was happening to me. I couldn't take it. I had to get away.

2 hours later, here I was, sitting on a beach, thinking. I knew I couldn't stay here forever. But I couldn't get myself to get up. I closed my eyes and just listened. I didn't need to think.

"Excuse me sir?"

I glanced up, startled. I hadn't even heard her approaching. She looked young, about halfway through high school. She had long brown hair put up into a ponytail, and deep blue eyes. She was carrying a school bag. The expression on her face was calm, but completely expressionless. She didn't seem completely focused, as if she was listening to something else. She stood there awkwardly, her hands on her hips.

"Yes?"

"Would you mind telling me what you are doing in frount of my house?"

I looked behind her at the small house built right along the beach.

"You live here?"

She nodded and shifted so that she was facing towards the sea.

"Oh. I'm sorry. I just needed to find a quiet place to think, and I ended up here..."

She smiled and sat down besides me, setting her backpack on the sand. She folded her hands in her lap and gazed out to the sea.

"I know what you mean. There are just some times where I can't take anyone else's presences anymore. I come here at sunset to think and just sit."

I looked at her. She looked so relax. No one ever understood why I needed to get away sometime.

They said I was antisocial, but they didn't understand. But she did.

"What's your name?"

She looked at me, a shine in her eyes and a small smile starting on her mouth.

"Elle. You?"

~

So hope you guys liked chapter 3! Its gonna get more exciting...i think lol still havent really planned out the whole plot yet, but it will be exciting =) 

Let me know what you think of the characters so far or if anything still doesnt make any sense =p 

as always, vote and comment! 

thanks!