prologue

Was it really a curse?

So the girl ate her lunch alone. Like always.
Sitting on a bench in the middle of the school yard, not caring about the curious, pejorative glances full of prejudice and dislike.

But she didn't do anything wrong.
She was simply just eating her lunch.
Like everyone would.
She would bite into her triangle-cut sandwich, making sure nothing fell out.
She would take out the olives, having a strong dislike against them and she would complain about the lack of sauce on her dry lunch.

Like everyone else she would check under her bed for monsters or check behind the shower curtain to make sure nobody is there.

She was normal. She did normal things.
And lived a normal life.

So why was everyone looking at her with those concerning glances full of uneasiness?
When she was just like everyone else?

Ah, right.
She wasn't.

There was only one little thing that made her stand out from the rest.

While you never find a monster under your bed or behind your shower curtain, there is not a time where Eunji didn't find someone waiting for her.
Behind her shower curtain. Under her bed.
Or right beside her.

There was always someone keeping her company against her will.

Then, Eunji could see ghosts.
It wasn't something she wanted or she asked for.
It was something she has always lived with and will continue to live with for the rest of her life.

A condition that was passed from generation to generation.

And while her mother did such a good job at keeping her sanity, Eunji was close to losing it everytime she came face to face with the so called ghosts.

But ghosts aren't just simply people that died.
They are the lost souls of people who lost their life a little too early.
Those who never got to rest.
Those whose body were lost and never found.

Ghosts are sad people.

That's what Eunji always told herself ever since she was small to help her differentiate real people from the apparition of ghosts.

"Hey!"
A loud voice snapped her out of her thoughts as she glanced at the ball that was slowly rolling towards her.

A ball. Her biggest enemy.

Looking to the direction of where the voice came from, she suddenly locked eyes with Jungwon, a classmate of hers.

The black-haired boy would point at the ball first and at himself afterwards, signaling her to kick it back.

He was smiling warmly. Like always.

Eunji couldn't bring herself to return the smile, feeling unsure under his intense eye contact, before she took the ball into her hands, walking towards the big football field.

She didn't want to risk embarrassing herself by fatally missing the ball during the attempt to kick the ball back, so she decided to bring it back the safest way.

By directly handing it back to him.

Jungwon, who was quite surprised at her decision to approach him, touched the back of his head, smiling even wider now. He would slightly lean down to look into her face, but the girl would continue to avoid his eyes at all costs.

"Thank you." Jungwon gratefully extended both of his hands while his team mates were starting to become impatient. His dimpled smile seemed even more gorgeous up close, the girl registered after shortly glancing up.

His hand would slightly brush against hers at the exchange as she quickly pulled back, startled at the sudden electric spark she felt upon touching his skin.
Was it the electrons? Passing from her hand to his to reestablish the electrical balance?

"Sure." Eunji spoke nonchalantly, her voice was quiet as usual. She would return to her lunch right away.

Even though Jungwon and her went to the same class, Eunji had never really talked to him. Not that she ever really talked to any of them before, but there just wasn't a reason for them to.

But despite that, she knew that Jungwon was always like that.

Nice. Sociable. Cheerful. Simply happy.
Every positive word that you could think of.

Well, at least that's what he used to be.

That was before he stopped.

He stopped being the cheerful person he was, falling into deep despair as grief seemed to consume him complete.

And the only person that could possibly help him was her.

So was her ability to see ghosts really a curse?

Or rather a blessing?

(a/n: a new book is in the making😋😋)

:¨·.·¨:
'·. please vote and comment if you enjoyed reading this chapter<3 °*゚