"now that's a word I like to hear", sukuna widely grinned as he finally decided to get off the branch and landed on the ground beside the rice paddy.

squatting down, sukuna extended his tattooed arm out with his sharp fingernails as kiyo had grabbed on, to which sukuna wasn't sure whether he had underestimated the girl's strength or not, as he had soon ended up in the same position as the priestess.

"what. the. hell".

sukuna groaned as he clicked his tongue at his wet kimono and scarf, brushing through his hair with one of his hands as he glared at the white-haired girl.

"what the fuck was that for?!"

kiyo stifled a laugh before she had shielded her mouth with the back of her hand, giggling as her lips had parted, letting out a string of mellifluous laughter.

her staggered breathing and honey-like chuckles had fully caught sukuna by surprise.

the demon king watched as the woman in front of him had wore a victorious smile; her dainty shoulders perked up and down as water droplets cascaded down her face and arms, falling back into the muddy waters.

a few strands of silvery-white locks were caught at the corners of the girl's mouth as her glimmering blue eyes complemented the cheeky expression that kiyo had displayed.

"sorry, I couldn't help it", kiyo hummed, standing up as she tried to squeeze out all the water from her clothing, sighing a breath of relief as she extended her hand out to sukuna, who hesitated.

the demon king squinted his eyes in suspicion as he begrudgingly held kiyo's soft hand, attempting to pull the girl down with him only to have her hand slip out of his grasp.

his hand smashed into the water as it landed right beside him, making him scowl.

kiyo only chuckled as she shook her head.

"don't think you can pull the same trick on me", kiyo said, as she went over to the basket of rice plants and grabbed a dry towel — originally for her to dry off her feet.

the miko unfolded the towel as she made her way over to sukuna, who had finally gotten out of the rice paddy as he too squeezed out all the water from his kimono and scarf.

kiyo had taken the initiative to wipe the demon's unamused face of water as she dabbed from the side and up to his forehead before she was stopped by the male's grip.

"what are you doing?"

"consider this as an apology for dragging you down with me", kiyo smiled, to which sukuna had just let the girl do her work as she then draped the fabric over his head, ruffling his hair as she lightly snorted at the demon's scattered hair.

"what?", sukuna growled.

"nothing~", kiyo hummed as she handed the towel to sukuna so that she could resume back to her unfinished task.

sukuna clicked his tongue as he sat beside the rice paddy, awaiting for the girl to finish the work that she had voluntarily took on because she had felt bad for the woman who had just lost her daughter.

it wasn't until when the sun had started setting that kiyo was nearly done planting all the rice roots deep within the mud.

"say, have you ever thought about getting married to someone?", sukuna randomly asked, yawning as he was laying on his side, noticing the girl freeze up momentarily.

kiyo then proceeded to continue working as she slightly smiled.

"yes...at one point I did", the girl honestly answered.

"oh? how come you didn't? don't tell me some bullshit such as you had to complete your duties first", sukuna stated.

kiyo let out a soft chuckle.

"no...it's because he changed...", kiyo said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"and he died".

sukuna was almost hesitant to ask until he realized that he couldn't care less about how the girl had felt.

"how?"

"satoru killed him", kiyo bluntly answered, to which sukuna had wondered whether it was because the girl and her lover had tried to elope and was caught by her twin.

"and you just let it happen?"

"I had no other choice", kiyo stated, standing up straight as she wiped her wet hands with the towel that was beside the demon king.

"what's his name?", sukuna asked, to which kiyo had let loose her kimono and untied her hair that swerved like sheets of paper when met with the harsh wind.

the pale girl felt a small lump in her throat. it had been so long since she's said his name. it felt weird saying it without him being around, though the name rolled out of her lips nevertheless, making her brows scrunch up a bit.

"getō...getō suguru".

it was then that sukuna had saw the wave of emotions lingering deep within the girl's glossy eyes: hatred, love, reminiscent, bitterness, everything that a human could feel was now present before him.

it was the first time sukuna had felt a tinge of melancholy and perhaps envy.

he wondered: who's the man that could elicit such sentiment within the miko with just the mentioning of his name?