𝟎𝟎𝟏: 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐦𝐚𝐱

—

Samantha Harrington fiddled with her thumbs, her eyes traveling around the tons of kids captivated in conversations with their friends. Unfortunately, for her, she sat alone.

It was her sixth day at Hawkins Middle School, and she still hadn't made a friend.

She knew absolutely nobody, except her brother's girlfriend's little brother, who she'd see on some occasions when Steve would be dropping Nancy off.

It's not like he paid any attention to her though. No one did, she was able to fit in with the plain bland crowd without actually fitting in in the first place.

Sam thought going to school for the first time would be new and exciting! But it was anything but that...

Let's rewind it back a little, shall we?

Samantha Harrington was born on Monday, July 5th, 1971. Her first seconds of life weren't spent with her awaiting mother but with a brooding man who immediately took her from her own family.

The man went on to call the girl, '10', and she spent the beginning of her childhood inside an isolated building.

Sam was special. Papa, the man, would remind her constantly.

He would often assure her that she was the most powerful out of all of his test subjects. At only nine years old, the man forced the young girl to spy on some men from different countries.

Everything was running smoothly... until Sam-or 10, encounter something... strange.

It was slimy, the eeriness surrounding the creature was enough to scare her away. But the girl had always been curious. Once she got closer to the creature, a warning sign fled through her and she knew that this thing was bad.

She screamed and cried, begging to escape the own hell of her mind.

When Papa proposed to do it again, this time to spy on the weird slimy creature, she denied. She was punished, and that was the last time Sam Harrington would listen to that vicious man.

The girl escaped that night, head shaved and bare foot as she walked through the woods in Hawkins.

It was a miracle that the first person she encountered was her own mother. Darla Harrington didn't even have to look twice before realizing that was her lost daughter.

After that, John, her father. And Darla, her mother, spent many nights arguing over what to do with the nine year old girl.