Chapter 5 - A Traitor's True Anguish - BDA and Investigation

--------------------------------

Chapter Five - A Traitor's True Anguish
Deadly Life

--------------------------------

I know I should've prepared and expected this, but I still couldn't comprehend it no matter how hard I tried.

In front of me, hanging by a noose, her face illuminated by the flickering fluorescent ceiling light above her...

Was Mei.

She was completely still. Cold. Dead. Lifeless. Her face was pale and her body was covered in gashes and cuts. What's strange was that not only was there not that much blood, but she had both of her roller skates on.

That's weird...didn't I find one of them by the headmaster's room? Why does she have both of them now?

Furthermore, her hands seemed to be tied behind her back and her face was emotionless. Almost unusually peaceful. Nevertheless, it was still a horrific sight.

I just stood there, staring at the body in shock as Mizuki entered the room. The minute her eyes landed on the body, they seemed to brighten up while she smiled. Like she was excited for a new case to begin. However, that smile faded once we heard a sound coming from the monitor.

Ding Dong! Ding Dong!

So Mei really is dead...

I know she was the traitor and might have done some bad stuff, but I can't help but feel bad for her.

Wait a second...the body discovery announcement played just now. That means Mizuki and I must've triggered it, and someone else has seen the body! But who? Who has seen Mei's body? And why haven't they said anything?

"Holy crap! I guess we...left her hanging! Kyahaha!" Mizuki burst out laughing after cracking that terrible pun.

"What? Mizuki, no! This is no time for jokes. Mei is dead!" I scolded her.

"Yeah well...I can see that."

I sighed, ignoring her strange antics and turning my attention back onto the body. I wonder...If I got here earlier, could I have stopped Mei's death? Or has she been dead for a while? And what if it was another suicide?

Wait...no, it can't be. Monokuma specifically said that a murder had to be committed to stop the time limit, so that means someone did this to Mei.

And what about Kei? Is his death involved with Mei's, or was his murder a completely different case? What if there are two different killers?

Questions kept appearing in my mind as I heard the others arrive.

"Kuro? Mizuki?" Ryuto was the first to rush into the room. "I heard the body discovery announcement. Is everything- Mei?!?" He stopped dead in his tracks once he saw her body.

Next to walk in was Reina. She wasn't in as much of a rush as Ryuto but was still surprised when she saw Mei's hanging corpse in front of her.