Chapter 20

Ember's POV

I had held it together until I saw Blade and then I began to cry. He took in the state I was in with being practically naked and beaten so badly. His face took on an even angrier look to it. He took out a knife and cut my restraints from my hands and legs. Blade then shrugged off his cut and stripped his shirt off. He gingerly helped me into his shirt being careful of my broken wrist. Once he was done I threw my one good arm around his shoulder pulling him into me as I continued to cry. He hesitated before tightly hugging me back, "I thought you died." I whispered to him. He pulled back from me and looked me into the eyes, "Flame, I'm sorry I failed you." I could hear the defeat in his voice. Before I could tell him he was wrong he asked me, "Do you think you can walk." I shook my head. He leaned down and put one arm under my legs and the other behind my back I still winced from the pain searing through me from the movement. I can only imagine the pain I will be feeling when the adrenalin wears off. "Use your good arm to hold onto my neck the best you can. Doc is waiting outside in a van for us."

Blade then began to move towards the door. We slowly made our way down the stairs. All the noise downstairs had stopped and there were just voices now. When we made it to the bottom I heard Butch say, "You ruined what your daddy built, but no matter with you out of the way we can bring it all back to its rightful place."

Then Hawk boldly replied to Butch. "You will never wear the colors of Blood and Bones again even if you do kill me." I knew then that Hawk had made peace with the fact that he was about to die. I could not help the gasp that escaped my lips. Hawk looked at me. Then he maneuvered so that the man behind him missed his shot and Hawk knocked him out. I hid my face in Blade's neck after that not wanting to see anymore death. If this was the life of the MC I am not sure that I could stomach this I was not made for this. Blade began to run with me in his arms. The pain was awful but I know he was just trying to get me to safety. Black dots began to dance in my sight and I welcomed the darkness and the uncertainty of whether I would be okay.

Hawk's POV

I pulled up to the hospital. Blade was standing outside waiting for me. I ran up to him, "How bad is she? Did he rape her?"

"Not sure on either." He informed me and it felt like my world stopped. "Doc is inside." I began to walk into the building. I followed him almost on auto pilot feeling unsure of myself for the first time in a long time.

Blade lead me to the 2nd floor and to a waiting room where Doc was. Doc stood up when we entered. "The doctor's haven't updated us yet but it's not good Hawk. She passed out before Blade could get her to the van, she had to have been in excruciating pain. Her face was all swollen, lacerations on her upper body, definitely a broken wrist, probably some broken ribs, and after the beating she took who know what internal bleeding she has going on." I was listening to him speak to me but it felt like I was just a bystander in my own body.

A nurse came into the waiting room then, "Family for Ember Cole?" Doc turned to the woman and claimed her as family. I was still struggling to take in what was wrong with my Little Flame. "They've taken her into surgery. We know there was concern that she might have been raped but there were no signs of rape. There was some internal bleeding in her abdomen and her wrist needed surgery as well so they will be working on both areas." The nurse informed us. Doc thanked her and she turned and left. I fell into one of the seats and put my head in my hands.

A couple minutes after the nurse left Gage, Cass, Screw, Ink, and Buster came running into the room looking frantic. I distantly heard Doc begin to explain what was going on with Flame to them while I just put my head back in my hands. I just got my Little Flame and now she could be extinguished just like that? I broke my promise to her. I failed her. I don't deserve her, but I'm selfish and if she makes it through this and accepts me I'll spend a life time making it up to her. Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder and when I looked up I saw Cass's tear filled eyes looking at me. "She's going to make it Hawk. She's a fighter and too stubborn not to." She gave me a small smile and then wrapped her arms around me hugging me. I felt her tears fall and I'm not too proud to admit I let some tears of my own fall too.

We waited hours for them to come in and update us. Slowly all of my brothers showed up to wait for news on Ember. The Devil's Runners had been dealt with, wiped out. Butch was waiting in the cells for when we were ready for him.

Finally, a doctor came out looking exhausted. "Cass?" He questioned.

"That's me." Cass answered a bit confused.

"Ember Cole has made it out of surgery successfully." We all breathed a huge sigh of relief and I felt a small smile creep its way onto my face. "She says she only wants you to be allowed into her room." My face and my heart fell simultaneously. I could tell some of my brothers were equally saddened and confused by that news. I looked over at Blade and saw his face had become like stone and his old scowl was back on his face like it had never left.

Cass nodded to the doctor before turning to me, "She just woke up from surgery after a very traumatic event. Let me talk to her. She's probably confused." She tried reassuring me, but somehow I knew something else was going on. Cass then followed the doctor out of the room.

Gage and Buster came over to me, "Brother, give her time. She's just upset." Gage encouraged.

I just shook my head. I think I've lost my Little Flame. I think we've all lost our Little Flame.