Chapter 4

Ember's POV

Riding on the back of Hawk's bike felt like freedom and my arms around him ignited something deep within me. Not that I would admit this to anyone of course. Cass and I needed to get out of here and back on track for our road trip before anything else happened to us. We didn't belong on a biker club ranch.

Hawk was so angry at that woman for what she said. I don't understand why he felt the need to defend me in that way, it's not like I mean anything to him. I saw the same storm in him that I used to have in me and I knew what he needed to help him calm it though something to ground him and calming words.

I noticed the bike began to slow down. I looked around and saw a tall gate begin to open. Hawk went through the gate. There were longhorns on one side of the long drive and horses on the other. I wonder if they ride them.

We pulled up to several buildings. One building looked like the shop that they had mentioned earlier; hopefully they'll be able to get me going on my way soon. The second building was a metal barn. The third building was huge and two stories. Then they were some smaller houses back behind these buildings that I could see.

Hawk parked next to the biggest building. As did the majority of the other men while a few who had women on the back of their bikes headed towards the house behind the building. Except for the one that had women who were scantily dressed like that Cherry. I do not understand what her problem is and I hope I am not around long enough to find out.

Hawk helped me off his bike and while I was handing him the helmet I noticed the tow truck pulling my Chevy over to the shop. I began to walk towards it when I felt Hawk grab my hand causing me to turn back towards him.

"I need you to come into this building while we have church to discuss what happened earlier. Everyone will be in there and I won't have anyone but prospects to stay with you and Cass. After that I can take you over to the shop and we can see about your car. Though I can almost guarantee they won't be able to get everything fixed until tomorrow at the earliest." I turned to find Cass standing next to me with Gage close by her side.

"Aren't we safe here on your ranch? Isn't that why you brought us here?" I asked him.

"Yes, but we just don't know what the Devil's Runners next play is going to be and it is better to air on the side of caution right now." I guess that made sense, but I really was not a fan of just following orders and this alpha biker sure seems to want to dish out a lot of them.

"Fine we'll hang out while you're having your church." Cass smiled at that. I grabbed her hand as we followed the guys into the building.

"Upstairs is where brothers stay who do not have families. The main room here is the bar area and there's pool in the corner. Behind the bar area is a kitchen and a medical room for when we need it. That door on the other side of the room leads to where we hold church. No women are allowed through that door unless invited in for some reason, but that rarely happens. You should stay down here in the bar area while we're holding church but if you want something to eat you can see what you can find in the kitchen. None of us are any good at cooking so I'm not sure what you'll find in there. The clubwhores usually cook for us but they're not very good at it." He said the last part at a whisper but I noticed some of the said clubwhores still heard him as they glared at him. So women are not allowed in their meetings for church how caveman of him.

"I'll sort out where you and Cass will sleep tonight after church is over with." I went to argue with him on our staying the night but then Hawk yelled out "Church!" before I got a chance. All the men began working their ways towards the forbidden door. I noticed Gage grab ahold of Cass's hand to give it a squeeze and he also gave her a reassuring smile before he followed along after the others towards the forbidden door. I kind of want to put a sign above it now that says forbidden door.