three

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽ return to narnia ☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Even though they would have never admitted it, it is safe to say that Lucy and Edmund Pevensie were jealous. They were jealous of their older siblings for living their lives, travelling, while the two of them were stuck in a house they felt unwanted in.

They spent their days trapped in a routine that included surviving the tortures of their beloved cousin, Eustace Scrubb. The second youngest Pevensie sibling kept trying to sign up for the war but being too young, he was unable to join. And that left him feeling even worse, knowing how many battles he had fought before but not being able to do anything at that moment. Lucy endured the days a little better than her brother but still wished that they could do more than doing absolutely nothing. She craved adventure, and she sorely missed the rest of her family.

After another day with an unsuccessful attempt at joining the army, Edmund sat down on his sister's temporary bed with a big sigh and started playing with the necklace around his neck unwittingly. Lucy stared at the opened envelope in her hand for long seconds before unfolding the paper in it, thinking about her eldest siblings. A fond smile appeared on her face as she eyed the neat handwriting of her sister.

"I do wish you were here with us. It's been such an adventure, but nothing like our times in Narnia. America is very exciting, except we never see Father. He works so very hard," she read the words out loud.

Edmund couldn't help interrupting his little sister. "Does she write about Ellie?" he asked, trying to hide the worry in his voice but Lucy could hear it anyway.

The girl held up her hand and continued reading the letter. "Our search for Ellie is continuous. America is such a big place, but we are determined to find her. We have been to New York many times, but we can't find her or her wretched family. It's like they vanished. I do hope we will succeed, all I want is for her to be finally safe with us."

Edmund's hands fell on his thigh with a troubled sigh. "Where are you, Ellie?" he murmured to himself, looking down at his fingers that were restlessly rubbing the material of his pants.

"What if something happened to her?" Lucy looked up from the letter as she couldn't hide how uneasy she became.

"Don't worry, Lu, they will find her," he comforted her, attempting to comfort himself at the same time.

"I was invited to the British Consul's tea party this week by a naval officer who happens to be very handsome. I think he fancies me," Lucy took her eyes off the letter for a second with a hum. Seeing that Edmund didn't notice her strange behaviour, as he was busy staring at a spectacular painting on the wall, she returned her attention to her sister's words. "It seems the Germans have made the crossing difficult right now. Times are hard. Mother hopes you both won't mind another few months in Cambridge," she continued, her voice growing desperate by the end of the letter. "Another few months?" She looked up at Edmund, who seemed to share the emotions Lucy was going through, caused by Susan's last sentences. "How will we survive?"