Chapter seventeen

After the chariot ride ceremony, we go back to the hall and clamber off the chariots.
It's quite a struggle, considering my legs have gone numb after standing rigid for so long.
Cinnamon saunters over to us. "Hello." Her face is like stone.
"D'we do something?" Drayton says, stretching his arms.
"No! No you didn't. And that's the problem. Why didn't you wave, you stupid peopl-"
"Don't you dare say that." Snaps Drayton. "Why would we wave? Why would we wave? These people are placing bets on who's going to die first. District one and two have been bred to kill! Our lives and countless others have been ruined because of this sick game, and you're telling us to wave!?"
Cinnamon stands for a moment, face frozen in indignation.
"C'mon, Clementine. We'll find the hotel by ourselves." He nods at me to follow him.
I stumble after him, trying to keep up with his angry stride.
"Where is this damn hotel, anyway?"
I scan the hall frantically. I see a corridor that the tributes from eleven are walking towards, and point it out to him.
Drayton nods and starts walking to it, but much less angrily this time. "You coming?"
"Mmhmm."
"Sorry. She just-" he scrunches his hands.
I put my hand on his shoulder. "I know. I wanted to yell at her too. At all of them."
We stand for a moment, and maybe, just maybe, from there on, we became sort of friends.
"Let's get going."
Together we walk quickly, trying to avoid eye contact with anyone.
"You guys alright here?" Asks a friendly looking mentor.
"Yes, we're fine thank you." Says Drayton, without stopping.
I smile at her and give a thumbs-up before catching up with him.
"Don't look back."
"Is Cinnamon behind us?"
"I don't know, but don't look back."
The breath catches in my throat. "Ok."

After dodging several more people, we manage to get to the training centre alive, which is something.
"Should we ask someone?" I say, floating around the main lobby, examining the intricate Panem symbols that have been carved into the walls.
"No. We'll find it ourselves."
I sigh. "Let's try the elevator."
The elevator is completely made of glass, which is rather fear-inspiring. We stand at opposite corners, and I cling on to one of the metal bars.
"What floor d'you think it's on?"
I examine the strange little glowing buttons. "What does 'G' mean?"
Drayton shuffles over. "I dunno. Maybe it's for the training centre floor."
I shudder. The idea of the training centre just made the whole thing even more real. Tomorrow morning I'd meet the tributes, try to forge alliances and try not to die.
"Why don't we just try all the floors?"
I look at the buttons again, "Considering one of them says 'ten', and we are in fact district ten, I would think that it's probably there." I poke the circle with '10' in the middle and it turns a bright green. "Oho."
The elevator takes off, and my stomach lurches once again.
Drayton leans against the glass walls, his eyes tightly clenched. His knuckles are white as he clings onto the metal bar.
It stops moving. There is a cheery 'ping!' and the doors slide open, revealing the district two tributes.
Velvet smiles cheerily. "Hello, we accidentally went to floor five rather than two. Harlow," she pokes the rather-fearsome looking boy. "Can't seem to be able to tell the difference between a five and a two. All brawn and no brain, obviously."
Harlow sighs heavily and crosses his arms. "At least I know how to throw a spear, princess."
"Oh shut up, you wouldn't know a poisonous berry if it slapped you in the face and gave you a tap dance routine."
Drayton looks at me, slightly concerned, slightly amused.
Velvet gives me her hand. "Nice to meet you. Clementine, right?"
I nod. "That's me. Velvet, isn't it?"
"Yes. And this big guy is Harlow, and he seems to have no manners." She turns to Drayton. "Hello Drayton."
He raises his eyebrows. "Hello."
The lift whirs, as we go higher and higher.
'Ping!'
"Well, see you at training I suppose." I say.
Velvet smiles. "See you then."
The doors close behind us, and the lift goes down.
"Strange bunch." Mutters Drayton.
I turn and face the room. A giant dining room, with fancy chairs and lights is spread out, lit nicely with a warm, yellow lamp.
"Woah."
"Ah, you're here!" Cries Daya, sitting on the velvet sofa in the corner. "Cinnamon stuck in the lift?"
I freeze. Drayton walks over to the sofa, and slumps. "No. We exchanged...some words."
Daya sighs. "Well, it was only a matter of time. Can I get you anything?"
I join them on the couch, sinking into the soft cushions. "Could I have some water?"
"Sure, sure." She gets up and heads to a door in the back of the dining room.
"Nice place, huh?"
"It's very....big. Roomy."
He nods. "It could house half of District ten."
"I wonder where Archie is?" I ask, trying to avoid thinking of District ten.
Daya comes back with a tray of glasses, clinking slightly as she carefully sets it down on the shiny coffee table. "He's went up to the very top of the building.Nice views. We could go up, if you like?"
The cool water is refreshing, the glass cold. I press it to my cheeks, and I instantly feel better. It's strange that everything in the capitol is so available. Hot water, cold water, anything you want, you could have. Except maybe freedom.
"That'd be nice. Get some air."
"Have a rest for a few minutes first. You've had a long day."
I settle into the couch, enjoying the coolness of my glass and the feeling of not being alone.