"She would be sad."

Just like that, he had managed to switch the tense mood in the room to something else.

"I don't want Mama to be sad," Janessa replied promptly from her corner, her watery eyes drooping lowly.

She scrambled over, her little legs moving so rapidly. Grabby hands desperately tugged on his trouser leg, he listened to her speak urgently. "Daddy! Let my sister down! I didn't mean what I said, I promise. Lilly's not a crybaby tattletale, I am!"

Slater snorted, leaving a kiss on Lilia's forehead before lifting the tiny body out of his lap. He brushed his finger against the tip of the freckled nose, slipping black frames peering up at him.

He knew she would be the first to break, she had always been the sensitive one out of the two of them. As the oldest sister, she relished possessing the role of the caretaker.

"Be nice to each other."

He had barely gotten the warning out before the girls started to talk amongst him, ignoring him completely as they fell into a fast-paced walk, disappearing out of the door.

After spending an entire afternoon pampering themselves they were told to freshen up for dinner as they had another surprise waiting for them. Rika wanted them to feel comfortable, well, as comfortable as possible, given the obvious circumstances. The last thing she wanted was for them to be upset. It was a hard day for all of them.

"Need help with that?" He spoke low, searching her face with his eyes. His husky voice made her jolt up slightly, causing her head to turn towards him. Though, his question was not a question but rather a statement.

He was going to help her whether she liked it or not.

Looking over to the older man in the corner of the room, she took note of his attire and felt her cheeks burn.

He got up out of his chair, approaching her at the table while collecting scattered towels and robes disregarded on the floor.

By the time he was next to the nanny, he had a pile of clothes in his hands.

Fiddling with her thumbs, she struggled to form the words on her lips, too focused on the mess in front of her.

Breathe, she reminded herself, drawing in some much-needed air.

Rika conquered a small, forced grin. "Y-You don't have to do that."

Her precarious nature didn't go missed by him, setting the clothes down unhurriedly, he followed the movement of her fragile hands.

Standing side by side, she could feel his arm brushing against hers. Eyes on the mess rather than each other.

Slater broke the silence, "So, who told you?" His jaw taut, prohibiting him from too much emotion.

"Ruth." She mumbled nervously, her heart practically plunging out of her chest as she feared the utmost worst. "I hope I didn't offend you."

He didn't skip a beat, answering.

"You didn't."

An awkward nod was his response.

It was strange really, the silence was comforting, serene.

Then, his throaty chuckle reappeared and he tilted his head to catch the side of her face.

Curious, his shadowy gaze slid over the curve of her body. His demeanour softened and the handsome lines on his face seemed to dissolve somewhat.

"They'll bring me into an early retirement, I'm sure of it." With a husky edge to his tone, he was referring to the catastrophe that had unfolded moments before. "Sometimes I think they plan these ridiculous arguments just to see how I will react."