III

Running through the forest felt like the most natural thing to Mark. He had never been a runner. In fact, he had hated it prior to coming to this small town, but now he felt like he could run forever. The wind blowing through his hair as he ran and the feeling of the forest floor under his feet felt...right. It was different. Before, Mark had always considered himself a city person. His life was full of technology and work, but the forest tugged a cord deep inside. One of which he was afraid to let loose.

        "We're almost there." Jinyoung disrupted Mark's thoughts to inform them of their location. As soon as they had entered the forest, Jinyoung had explained to Mark that they were heading back to his pack. They needed to tell Jaebeom what had happened.

        "That man that attacked you," Jinyoung continued. "That was Jinhyuk. He is one of Kangjoo's most trusted wolves. He wouldn't have let you live if Jackson wasn't there. You're extremely lucky."

        "You said he was watching me?" Mark remembered Jinyoung mentioning that. He also remembered Jackson was the one that wanted him killed. The fact that he was the one who saved him was bewildering. "Why?"

       "Why? Well, why not? You're a part of our pack now. We have a duty to each other and ourselves to keep each other safe. Like I said, we're family." Jinyoung spoke as if it were the basic principles that everyone should know. Growing up, Mark didn't have a family. He bounced around from foster home to foster home. His family was going to be started with Eunhee. Instead, he was thrown into this world and now, here was a group of young men claiming that he was a part of their family. It was certainly new to him.

        This entire thing was new to him. Up until recently, Mark didn't believe such creatures could exist, but no matter how hard he tried to push it away and keep that locked up. No matter how hard he tried to convince himself that these people were insane – that he was insane – he just couldn't deny the fact that a part of him believed it all. What he saw and what he experienced wasn't normal. It wasn't humanHe wasn't human.

        "This is still overwhelming." Mark spoke up, finally accepting this new reality.

        "Don't worry. It was for all of us. You'll get used to it." Jinyoung offered a smile as they stepped out of the tree line and stepped onto the familiar gravel road, following it up towards the century-old house.

        As they reached the house, Jaebeom appeared on the steps, coming to meet Jinyoung. He was followed by Youngjae, Yugyeom and Bambam.

        "You managed to bring him back," Jaebeom acknowledged. "Where's Jackson?"

        "He probably got upset again and went for a run," Bambam answered.

        "Actually," Jinyoung corrected, "he saved Mark. Jackson was watching Mark when one of Kangjoo's wolves approached him. He was going to kill him, Jaebeom. Jackson saved him."

        "What? On our territory!" Youngjae bursted out before the alpha could get a word in. "Unbelievable!"

        "Quiet," Jaebeom commanded the younger and Youngjae pressed his lips together obediently. "Go on," he encouraged Jinyoung to speak.

        Jinyoung continued to describe the event in complete detail. He told him how Jinhyuk had nearly lunged and torn Mark apart before Jackson leaped in and attacked, driving Jinhyuk away. Mark watched Jaebeom carefully. The leader's jaw tensed and it looked like he was trying not to get angry, but it was obvious that the news wasn't pleasing.

        "Jackson should be back soon," Jinyoung finished. "Jinhyuk was definitely no match for him. Especially since Jackson wouldn't let him transform. He was stuck fighting in his human form."