I

As Mark drifted inside a world of shadows, voices hit him. They pierced through his skull and drilled into his brain, sending a sharp pain shoot throughout his head. The pain was almost unbearable as he tried to focus on the speakers.

        "He has to pay, Jaebeom! You can't expect us to forgive him just like that! He murdered Haejin! He didn't just kill him; he murdered him," one voice spoke aggressively.

        The next voice was a lot calmer. It was almost welcoming – almost. "Don't think so rash, Jackson. You and I arrived after the accident occurred, but beneath the smell of car fumes and blood there was also someone from Kyungjoon's pack as well. You know very well that this man isn't the only one at fault. We will deal with things once things once we find out what this guy's story is. Besides, a war is brewing and with the loss of Haejin we need everyone we can find."

        "You sure he's even worth it? He won't survive changing. He's too weak. Haejin obviously meant it as a way to seek revenge for hurting him. I bet this kid won't even last a few more hours."

        Mark couldn't keep his focus any longer as the pain became insufferable and, once again, he was plunged into complete darkness.

        "You there! Are you dead yet?" One of the voices from earlier struck through Mark's unconscious state. However, the pain had failed to subside. He cringed as his eyes flickered open and was punished by the harsh light above. From what he could tell, he was lying on an old worn-out bed. The metal frame was rusted and the mattress was stained and dirty.

        He could see a figure standing nearby and it took him a moment to adjust to the brightness. Once he blinked a few times, the pounding in his head refusing to let up, he realized he was in a barred-cell. The figure was standing just outside, his head tilted slightly to the side as if he were curious of the jailed-man's reaction.

"Where the hell am I? Who the hell are you?" Mark tried to demand but his voice was barely a whisper. His throat was soar and it felt as if he hadn't used it in some time.

        "As you can see, you're in a cage," the man spoke as if it were obvious.

        Then it came to him. The memory of this man and another speaking before – of punishing him for killing someone. They must have drugged him because he couldn't remember a thing after collapsing in the middle of the road.

        "Where the hell am I!" Mark shot up only to stumble as he became dizzy. He used the bed frame to steady his balance.

        "Calm down or you're going to trigger the change," the man spoke. "I'll explain everything but you'll need to calm down. The change will kill you. Do you understand?"

        The fact that the man was speaking to him as if he were a child and the lack of information he had about his whereabouts was stressing the red head and his heart began to race rapidly. Kill him? Was the voice from earlier right? Was he going to be punished for an accident? He had never meant to kill the dog!

        The man continued to speak to him in soothing tone, but Mark couldn't relax. His heart was beating faster than ever. "T-Tell me who you are– Agh!"

       Mark let out a cry of pure agony as he dropped forward and grasped onto the mattress. He was jerked to the side as he felt the bones in his left leg break and another pained cry echoed throughout the room.

        "Shit! I told you to calm down!" The man's tone was full of worry as he watched Mark helplessly from outside of the cell.

        "What's happening to me!" Mark shrieked, his hands slipping off the bed as his back arched with a sickening crack. It felt as if every bone in his body was breaking at the same time.