Chapter 14 (Part 4)

I SNIFFED THE AIR, WONDERING WHERE LAVENDER COULD BE. Our house wasn't too big, so she had to be here somewhere... suddenly, as I turned the corner, she popped out and howled at me. I jumped back in surprise, letting out a bark of joy as I tore through the house, away from Lavender. She chased me, but, as usual, I was too fast for her. 

I woke up, shaking. All my memories were back, stabbing me repeatedly. Galaxy was sleeping nearby, as calm as ever. I didn't understand how she could send such powerful waves of emotion half the time and then be so calm the rest of the time. Was it normal for cats to act like they don't exist? 

I shuddered as another painful memory attacked me. I looked at Lavender's cold, stiff body lying next to me. These memories did me no good now that she was gone. Without her, I wasn't complete. I was a lonely corgi in a dog-eat-dog world. 

Galaxy stiffened, opening her eyes and hissing, bolting for a tree. Her fur fluffed up in a cute way. I snorted in amusement as she jumped from the tree, humiliated. She sent me a death glare and sat, licking her paw, a few yards away from me. 

"When are you going to accept that she's dead?" 

"When you stop starting every morning by running up the trees."

Galaxy glared at me. I simply grinned and turned to Lavender's body. Her fur was so ruffled... I started smoothing it out, inhaling her scent and wishing she was still with us. I glanced back at Galaxy, who was staring at the river longingly. I sighed. Lavender should be here with me. With us. 

A memory decided to hit me at that moment, causing me to stumble backward in pain and sadness. I didn't understand why I couldn't push it away. This one was just so... scary. 

I looked at Lavender, panic filling my eyes as the water entered our small house. I dipped my paw in it, shivering when the cold hit me. The shock was nothing compared to when the next wave hit. Suddenly I was pressed against the ceiling, without access to air. I inhaled, finding myself with two water-filled lungs. I looked over at Lavender, but she wasn't there. 

I saw broken glass floating through the water next to me. With what little strength I had left, I swam towards the window, pushing myself out. The water began to lower, and soon I was in the river. I saw Lavender paddling out, trying to reach me. She was screaming. Fear washed over us as I began to sink, but I wasn't strong enough to push myself up. 

I felt Lavender's jaws closing around the scruff of my neck, pulling me up. I felt air entering my lungs, fresh oxygen. I inhaled and exhaled, only to open my eyes and see her on the opposite bank. She called my name, shouting something inaudible. I stumbled weakly around, heard her voice one more time, and collapsed on the soaking ground. 

"EARTH TO JASMINE! WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU, HUH?" Galaxy was shouting. "SHE'S WAKING UP!" I looked at her, confused. Who was waking up? And then I remembered Lavender. I yelped with joy, running over to her.

"J-Jasmine! You're alive!" Lavender said, her voice broken yet filled with astonishment. "I thought you were dead... I thought I was going to lose you... but then you almost lost me..." her voice shook. Sadness washed over me as the river had in my dream. I smiled at her. 

"You're okay now. I am, too, so we both won!" I said softly. She looked at me, her gaze as soft as the grass of the meadow. "We're going to be okay. You're going to be okay. We just have to get home. We can do it. Do you remember Galaxy? She wants to move in with us." 

Lavender smiled faintly, then attempted to stand. She winced with pain as her front legs collapsed beneath her. I gazed down at her sorrowfully. It looked like it was going to be a while before we could get home.