Chapter 8

*Warning there are triggers in this chapter. They are not talked about in detail, but there is a confession. Read at your own risk*

Emmalee sat staring out at the rain. Now watching the world around her, but lost in her own thoughts. Thoughts that were of Wes, Les and Lee, a kiss they shared and a longing she missed. The confusion of how a harem would work or if she could even control three men. A soft knock came on the door, "Enter."

"She looks miserable." came the voice of her sister Janeann.

Emmalee looked up to see her two of her three sisters and a maid walking into her bedroom. The maid set the tea down on the table, then left just as quietly.

"She's in love." Marianna pointed out, making three cups of tea. "Will you tell us who?"

"No," Emmalee replied softly as she returned to the window. How would they understand? It was not just one husband, but three.

"You have been in the room for three days now, mother could pry nothing out of you so she sent us." Janeann said, clearing the air. "I was rather shocked father even encouraged us to gossip with you."

"Here you are, dear." Marianna handed Emmalee a cup of warm tea. Emmalee accepted the drink, letting it warm her insides.

"We don't have to talk if you don't want to." Janeann said, taking tea and a seat in the window with Emmalee. "You can listen to us talk."

Emmalee smiled, it had been a long time since her sister came for a visit.

"I have one request, please tell us of the king's ball." Janeann requested. Emmalee had no problem with the night of the coming-out ball, for she had not yet met the Brodrick's yet. She described the hall, the food, the gentleman, meeting the king and queen, and not being asked to dance, not even once. She described it all, even her soft yellow dress that stood out amongst the pinks and blues. The sisters laughed and enjoyed the rest of the rainy day shut up in Emmalee's room. Something she needed. A brake from thinking of the three Lord Brodricks. When her father came to bid her good night, Emmalee asked him a question she had been longing to ask.

"I would like to dine with the Brodrick's this week." Emmalee replied. "Would you be willing to send out an invitation?"

"I would," Lord Northstone said solemnly, "but I can not, for they have invited us to dine with them tomorrow."

"Am I invited this time?" Emmalee remember the time her parents said she should not attend afternoon tea, for it was too soon.

"Your name is the first on the invitation." Lord Northstone stated with a smile. "Might I suggest you wear the green dress? It is my favorite."

"Splendid idea, father." Emmalee kissed her father good night. She was grateful to be going to the Brodrick's the following day. She had many questions for their mother.

***

Emmalee sat quietly at the dining table as Lord Northstone talked with the gentlemen and Martha. Her own mother went to Edith's home, for she was about to deliver. Emmalee prayed hard both her sister and the baby survived the ordeal.

"Emmalee, you are the ninth child, are you not?" Martha asked, as she ate the fish on her plate.

"Yes," Emmalee replied. "I have only three sisters and five brothers."

"All form the same mother?" Asked Wes, disguised as Arthur.

"Yes, my wife is a miracle all on her own." Lord Northstone replied.

"Would you like a big family?" Les asked, disguised as Charlie. It thrilled Emmalee, they kept the disguises as she had saw fit.

"One day perhaps, Mr. Brodstone. I have yet to find one who agrees." Emmalee replied, "However, I would not like a child right off. I would very much like to get to know my husband. Learn about his temper, gentleness, caring, and what may cause him to throw a fit of sorts."