Chapter 3

Emmalee Northstone paces the floor, waiting for news from her father. She was the youngest of nine children, all of whom have left the home with families for their own. Not understanding why her father would not let her attend a season in London.

Emmalee stopped in front of the mirror to look at her appearances once again. They braided her dark brown hair high on her head twisted into a bun, although some parts were freezing out again. Her eyes were a dull brown with specks of yellow. She thought she was pleasant looking in her winter gray day dress that had once belonged to one of her three sisters. Which one she could not tell you. Emma sighed as she left the mirror and continued her pacing.

She wanted to attend the season in London more than anything. Her father had denied her each year, he kept telling her she was far too young.

Emmalee was more mature than most girls her age. She had a full understanding of politics, plays and the latest literature. Was known and loved by all the villagers and servants who worked or lived at her father's estate. She was also the most graceful dancer Monsieur Leufu had ever had the privilege to teach. She knew English, French, a little Russian and German. Emmalee could lay the piano forte, sing, embroidery and mend her own clothes. Which she preferred instead of a seamstress doing it for her. In short, Emmalee was the most gifted child in the Northstone family. Although if you asked her, she would have disagreed and pointed out her faults.

"You wish her to be a spinster for the rest of her life," shouted her mother. It echoed in the hall for all to hear. Emmalee shivered, she wanted to attend balls, she wanted to find love, and she wanted what her parents, three sisters and five brothers had, a loving family.

"Novels only get one so far," Emmalee sighed as she paced the floor again.

"Miss Northstone, you will wear a hole in the floor if you keep this up." Said Mrs. Smith, the housekeeper. Mrs. Smith was a sweet lady with a trim figure, blond hair and dark brown eyes. She always spoke softly, kindly, and never had a cruel thing to say to or about anyone.

"Hush dear, Miss Emmalee is nervous, let her be." Mr. Smith replied, kissing his wife on the cheek. "She will put holes in those slippers before those two come to an agreement."

Emmalee let out a small giggle. Mr. Smith, the butler, had an excellent point. Her parents ever agreed on anything, if it involves Emmalee.

"I hate how he still treats me like a small child. Does he not know I am of age? I am no longer a child but a woman and I have been for the past five years." Emma complained to the Smiths as she paced the floor.

Mr. Smith coughed he's cheeks turned a light pink at Emmalee's remarks.

"Miss Northstone, my husband does not wish to know the workings of a woman's body. He has enough on his plate with me around." Mrs. Smith replied by tapping her husband's hand. Emmalee grew fonder of the Smith over the past few years as her siblings had left one by one. Mr. Smith was a young butler, but had the experiences of a well-seasoned butler, for his father was one before him. He had a full head of chestnut brown hair, eyes to match, and a lean but firm and fit figure that would make any lady blush. He was a very handsome butler. "Forgive me, Mr. Smith, for I did not know you had such delicate ears."

This made Mrs. Smith laughed loud, like a hyena call. Her laughter was very contagious as Emmalee and Mr. Smith both laughed as well. The door to the study opened moments later, Sir Northstone looked out at the commotion, shaking his head at the sight he beheld.

"Emma, please join your mother and I." Sir Northstone was a stout man with white hair, brown eyes and a crooked smile; he had a cut on his upper lip from a fishing accident with one of his sons. "Mr. and Mrs. Smith, do you have nothing better to do than laugh your day away?"

"At the moment no Sir we do not." Mrs. Smith relied.

"Take a stroll outside." Sir Northstone suggested.

"In the snow?" asked Mrs. Smith was quite shocked. "I'll catch me, death!"

"Yes, in the snow, maybe it will calm your giggles." Sir Northstone said in a joking manner. Mr. Smith smiled as he led his wife away from the library door. Mrs. Smith said a few things about taking a walk in the snow.

Sir Northstone returned to the library where his wife and daughter waited. He did not want to let her go, for he loved her dearly.

"Father, is what mother says true?" Emmalee asked, turning to look at her father. "I am going to London for the season?"

"Yes, you are. Your mother is right, twenty no longer young. It is wrong of me to keep you here. Your mother has proved her point I need to let you grow." Sir Northstone replied with a nod.

"Thank you, father!" Emmalee cried, embracing her father in a tight hug. Sir Northstone patted Emmalee's dark hair. He placed a kiss on the top of her head, letting her know both her parents loved her.

"There-there, now your mother will leave for our home in London this spring. I will write to your brother so he knows to be expecting you both. In the meantime," her father paused as Emmalee continued his words as if she had been told this time and time again.

"Mind my manners, be a good girl, keep out of any trouble and sleep well. No more late nights."

"You have heard my speech before?" Sir Northstone asked.

"I have, eight or ten times to be exact." Emmalee replied, not being shy or ashamed. Her sibling told her of fathers coming out scolding.

"I will have to talk to your siblings about telling you all my secrets. It explains why nothing I say or do surprises you." Sir Northstone looked Emmalee over, "That also answers many questions I have had over the past few years."

"Oh never mind that, I must prepare our Emma for all that will come to be. First, we must start on your dress." Lady Northstone waving her arms about. "Come, Emma, let us go into town. We can make anything you would like."

"Will we have enough time?" Emmalee asked, looking at her mother with joy and excitement.

"We have all winter." Lady Northstone relied on pulling the cord for a servant. "What color would you like your dresses to be?."

"Dresses?" Emmalee asked.

"Yes, we will need eight, let's make it ten just in case." Lady Northstone said with a smile.

"I like ten better you let Marinna have fifteen dresses if memory serves me correct." Sir Northstone replied, shaking his head.

"Oh, never mind him, do you have any ideas on what sort of dress you would like for the first ball?" Lady Northstone asked her daughter.

"Marinna said I should make it a light dress, for it will be hot with all the dancing. Edith told me to put my hair up and bring a fan to match. Janeann scolded me about wearing heels, flats are better." Emmalee said to her mother with excitement.

"My goodness, what have the girls not told you?" Lady Northstone asked.

"The gentlemen." Emmalee said with a sigh. "I was never told how many they danced with or how one would fill a dance card. They said that is the best mystery of all, not knowing and being surprised."

"I am truly grateful they left a few things out." Lady Northstone said, just as one footman entered the library.

"The ladies are going into town, they need the carriage. Make sure it's the winter carriage and not the one for the other seasons. They never work properly in the snow." Sir Northstone requested. The footman bowed, leaving at once. "I suggest the two of you should dress warmer."

****Hello Friends! I am on a roll!! look at me go...ok so these characters are playing it out n my head and wont shut up. DO any of you have problems like this or am I going crazy? Thank you for keeping up with me. Please do not take my work. That is just rude. Thanks for sticking around please comment, vote or don't I get it! Until next time, stay warm, stay dry and sleep well.*****