TWENTY-FIVE

Three months after I had moved to Sector 7—four since I'd left the plate and my old life behind—things were going well for me. Work was great, and word about me and what I did both with the tech repair and water filtration had started to spread all over the slums. And that's how my almost daily trips began.

To help with those, I scavenged more parts and materials from the scrap piles, brought them to my shop, and made a wheeled cart to hold all the tools and equipment I'd need to take with me each day. I found a crate that would fit in it, too. Useful for holding stuff and keeping it all neat and organized. The cart was light enough that I could just push it along as I walked, but it was also pretty sturdy.

My trips took me not only back to Sector 5, but even as far away as Sectors 1 and 2. I guess I was famous again, just in a different way than before. I didn't mind, though, and it felt good to be able to help people every day and put smiles on their faces. I stayed well away from Sector 6 and Wall Market, though. Didn't really get any calls from there, but I felt it was safer to keep my distance after having pissed off Don Corneo the way I had. I knew he wouldn't forget about it.

Anyway, I had stopped by Seventh Heaven for lunch one afternoon when I saw the guys in there. Apparently, they'd had the same idea, and I waved to them and smiled when they saw me. Biggs and Wedge were almost finished, their plates all but empty as they talked, and I was just walking over to join them when I stopped as I realized what they were talking and teasing each other about.

"You're dreamin', buddy!" Biggs chuckled. "Cassie Raleine's cute an' all, but she ain't got nothin' on Jessie Jae."

Wedge shook his head. "Have you seen Cassie on TV?"

Biggs rolled his eyes. "Yeah. Doesn't mean she's hotter, though."

"There they go again," Tifa laughed, joining me.

I looked at her. "They do this a lot?"

She grinned. "All the time. They're always debating with each other about which LOVELESS girl is the most attractive."

"Have you seen the play?" I asked.

"No, but I've heard about it," she answered. "You?"

I giggled. "Ah, well... I'd have to say yes..."

Tifa blinked. "What's so funny?"

"Oh, nothing!" I said, my eyes twinkling.

I didn't really mind if my friends figured out I was Jessie Jae, it was just kinda funny hearing them talking about her without even knowing it was me. Especially the guys. And as I listened to them, I had an idea. Something to reveal who I was and have a little bit of fun with them at the same time. I was actually a bit surprised they hadn't connected the dots on their own already by now. But I knew that once they did, they'd keep my secret safe. I trusted them.

Tifa raised an eyebrow. "Nothing?"

"Yep!" I said. "Oh, mind if I grab a bite to eat while I'm here? Gotta refuel before I get back to work."

She smiled. "Not at all! Have a seat, Jessie!"

I went over to see the guys as she headed behind the bar to get me a drink. "Hi, boys! How's the watch treatin' ya?"

"Same as always," Biggs said. "Took out some eaters today."

Wedge polished off his burger. "And two wererats."

I smirked. "What a challenge, huh?"

"Hey, it's a living," Biggs said, taking a swig of his beer. "Sure as hell beats a lot of other jobs in the slums."