TEN

The next morning, I went into the bathroom to take a look at how my arm was healing up. After closing the door, I pulled off the old blue T-shirt I'd worn to bed, stood in front of the mirror, and unwound the bandage just under my shoulder as slowly and carefully as I could. The bleeding had finally stopped, though there was a dark bruise where the bullet had gone in, and I was sure there was also one in the back where it had gone out. My arm still ached a little, but it wasn't as bad as it had been yesterday, just a faint, dull throbbing beneath my skin. I thought I could almost ignore if I tried hard enough.

Facing the mirror again, I tried lifting my arm above my head, but I didn't get very far before the pain suddenly reared up and practically kicked me in the head. So much for that idea. I'd wanted to see how far I could move it, but I realized then that it would be a little while before I'd have my full range of motion back. I sighed, lowered my arm again, and gently rubbed it where it hurt until the ache subsided, fading back to where it had been before. And as much as I hated the idea, I decided to ask Reeve later if he had another potion I could take.

In the meantime, there was something else that I'd come in here to do. I went over to the tub and turned on the water, adjusting the knobs until it was nice and hot, just the way I liked it. Then I took off the rest of my clothes, put them aside, and stepped lightly into the shower. The streams of water sizzled against my bare skin as puffs of steam rose up around me, and for a while I just soaked, badly needing this chance to relax after the long and terrible day I'd had yesterday.

Eventually, though, I washed up, using the little travel soaps I'd put in my backpack last night and which I'd set in here before going to bed. I had to do it with only my good hand for the most part, so it took a bit longer than it normally would have. I didn't mind, though, and while I swirled the bubbly suds over my body and slid my fingers through the long, wet strands of my hair, I felt myself unwind a little. I had another busy day ahead of me, but this one would be different, and as I started to rinse myself off, I found I was ready for it.

When I was finished, I let the water spill over me for a little longer as I stood there with my eyes closed and my head tilted back. Being in here had done wonders for my muscles. My legs in particular had been practically screaming last night after going down all those stairs, but I'd been so preoccupied with everything else that had happened that I had forced myself to push through it. And by the time I'd arrived at Reeve's place, I had been so tired that I had just gone right to bed after he and I had finished talking.

I opened my eyes and turned off the water a few minutes later, and almost immediately I felt goosebumps rise up on my skin. My hair wet and dripping, I reached for one of the towels on the rack, got out of the tub, and dried myself off, mostly with my good hand. My right arm felt a bit better after the shower, but I still couldn't lift it too high yet. Then I got dressed, slipping on an extra set of clothes I'd brought in with me, and finished getting ready.

Reeve was already gone by the time I got out, but he'd left a note on the kitchen table. I'd figured that he'd have returned to work by now, so I wasn't surprised. My stomach started yammering at me for breakfast, but before I got myself anything, I picked up the small slip of paper on the table and read what was on it:

Jessica,

I hope you slept well last night. Sorry I missed you this morning, but I had to get to work. But before I left, I called those two friends I told you about last night, and they've both agreed to help you. The first should be there early in the afternoon to pick you up, so be sure you're ready. You'll probably be gone most of the day. He's a bit flashy, as I mentioned before, but there's no one in Midgar better able to help you create a new identity and a new look for yourself than him.