Chapter 1: Bracca

Silence, blessed silence for a few moments. And then immediately following, screams. You tried to bear it as long as you could, but soon opened your eyes and lifted your head. You had been trying to meditate for the first time in a while. You didn't know what had compelled you to try after so long, but as ever, it was fruitless. The only thing you could hear was the screams of fallen Jedi in the force. At least you didn't experience what you did during Order 66. That only happened in your nightmares.

Your force connection had been broken ever since the Purge, and you hadn't really tried to fix it. It was easier to ignore it, as blending in was critical to survive. It was important to not even have the temptation to reach out.

You sighed, then got up. It was barely dawn, but on Bracca that was when work started. You made your way out of your small shack. Looking around, all the scrappers were getting ready to go. You threw all your stuff in your toolbox and hopped on the train with everyone else.

Soon enough, it was time to get your assignments for the day. You had been recently moved to work on a different team with an Abednedo named Prauf and a guy named Cal. You smiled as you saw him coming towards you, his flaming red hair tousled from sleeping.

"What are we doing today?" He asked, yawning.

"Not sure yet, Prauf is getting our assignment," you said.

"Hope it's not cleaning again," Cal said.

You didn't reply, your thoughts drifting off. You stood in companionable silence. Neither of you were very talkative, and you liked it that way. Forming attachments here would just make it harder if you ever had to leave. Cal seemed like a nice guy, but was also very withdrawn.

"Okay team, we're going to section C-23 today. Supposed to scrap some old walkers," Prauf said, breaking through your thoughts. You and Cal silently followed him to your work location for the day.

Prauf showed us what parts we were looking for, then said: "Sorry, this job requires me to be on the other side. I'll see you in a few hours."

"Okay Prauf," Cal said, and you said "Take care Prauf," softly.

You and Cal both put on your respective headphones. It was something that you had discovered the first day working together, that you both liked to listen to music and zone out. It was nice not to have to make small talk. Working with music helped keep your thoughts from going to a bad place.

A few hours later, you stopped for lunch. You and Cal went to meet Prauf on the head of the walker.

"How is it going over there," he greeted you.

"Same as always Prauf, going smoothly," you said, then sighed. You realized that this was the best you could hope for from your life now. The best life you could lead would be with no friends, only acquaintances. You shook your head, annoyed at yourself. At least you aren't dead like almost all the other Jedi. You should feel lucky. But it was hard to feel lucky when you had no one left.

—————————————————————————————————-

Time Skip 2 Months

——————————————————————————————————

Working with Prauf and Cal had become a routine by now. You now saw them as friends, which you were trying to avoid. But spending so much time with people, even if a lot of it was in silence made it hard to stop. When Prauf worked with you, he got frustrated when both you and Cal put in your headphones, and so you both tried to entertain him. He even brought you to a cantina a few times, which you honestly didn't really enjoy, and you sensed Cal didn't either. He was always looking around nervously, and it seemed like the atmosphere didn't suit him.