xi. guardian or heir

Start from the beginning

" Yumi na teik
Won sonraun au?
Ai keryon gyon op
Ai keryon g' breik au"

[And will you take
A life with me?
My soul moves on
My soul is freed]

Those lyrics of the song fit well in her current situation, because Lexa's soul was indeed free now. It would now move on into the afterlife, as well as the memory of the Commanders before. It sucked, but it was her unfortunate reality, and she claimed to have already accepted it within her mind. Although, she would soon realize that the idea of acceptance was a complete and utter lie.

"I must complete the ritual." Titus spoke up from beside the grieving pair. Somewhere in the room, Murphy was also there, given the fact that he was brought in by the Flamekeeper to act as a ploy in order to originally kill Clarke. However, that plan ultimately backfired, and Lexa ended up being the one to lose her life.

It was that fact alone that made Kota despise the man with every bone in her body. She knew it was an accident but if the man would have kept his cool and let Lexa live her life the way she wanted to, then the girl wouldn't be sitting motionless on that bed like she was currently in that moment.

Anger boiled inside of her, but still, she pushed it down into the deepest part of her stomach, unknowingly feeding it to her inner monster. She would deal with those feelings of grief later. Right now, all she felt was numb. The perfect feeling for having to bare through what came next.

"The Commander's spirit must be passed on." Titus claimed, gently trying to pry Clarke away from Lexa's body. "This is my purpose. You must allow me to complete the task. It is what the Commander wanted."

The blonde continued to sniffle and sob as she slowly backed away from the bed. Murphy suggested that they leave, but Clarke instantly shook her head, and instead, walked over to the other side of the bed where Kota remained in a kneeling position while staring down at her sister's body. The most violent of tears are those that are silent, and that's exactly what Kota's eyes were unleashing in that moment.

"Yu gonplei ste odon, Leksa kom Trikru." Titus restated. "Gonplei kom Heda kigon feva." [Your fight is over, Leksa kom Trikru. The Commander's fight goes on."

Dakota had to close her eyes for a moment, as the man turned Lexa to lay on her stomach, where he proceeded to use a scalpel to slice open the flesh on the back of her neck. She knew that Murphy and Clarke were in shock over the sight, but she couldn't care less about them. Instead, she quickly wiped her tears and picked up her sister's metaphorical mask of no emotion, before she put it on herself and wore it with pride as she walked out of the room, Titus following entail while carrying Lexa's body in his arms. It was then that she pushed down her feelings and grief completely, knowing that it was her time to step up. If her sister had high hopes for her, then she vowed to live up to them and more.

"The Commander is dead." Titus declared. "Let the Conclave begin."

_______

By the next nightfall, Dakota was nowhere to be found in the tower. After the incident with Lexa, she left the room with Titus and no one had heard from her since. Well, at least Clarke and Murphy hadn't. Afterall, the two of them remained locked up in the bedroom ever since the previous night's events without any way out.

"The conclave must be starting." The blonde sighed, after hearing a horn sound in the distance from her place at the balcony.

"Cool." Murphy chuckled. "You see anything?"

Clarke only looked at him dryly, clearly still caught up in her feelings about Lexa.

"Oh, come on." He continued. "What? Bunch of Grounders fighting to the death to see who gets the A.I. drilled into their brain, that doesn't sound fun to you?" He asked her, as he took her place on the balcony, clearly amused by the Grounders' ways of doing things.