I held up my hand, interrupting him mid-rant. "You don't have to feel bad about ambushing me in Julian's office earlier."

He scoffed and muttered defensively. "I won't call it an ambush."

"Whatever you call it, that's how I see it," I argued lightly. "But that's beside the point. You had every right to call me out on that misunderstanding and correct me."

"But I've done it in the wrong way," he said and sighed dejectedly. "I allowed my emotions to overcome my sensibilities. When I saw Reed earlier with you, and then he asked you out... I've been waiting my chance."

"Why did it take you so long to ask me out?" I blurted out and turned away, feeling my face heat up.

He was silent for a moment, which made me peered up to check if he had heard. And he did. His eyes staring intently at me.

"I don't know—"

I snorted. "Don't you dare tell me you don't know? Because I know you do."

"Fine." He heaved a sigh. "I haven't considered it until Amy talked to me yesterday. She's one of my closest friends. And I couldn't crossover some line. Knowing her protectiveness towards you, she might not take kindly having her little sister date a guy like me. I mean, back then, I wasn't someone you'd want your little sister date either," he jested bleakly.

"You were a different man back then," I agreed with a chuckle.

"See! You would have shot me down, and I don't think I'd recover after that." He smirked.

"But I was quite a riot back then. I'm not sure you were into me based on the girls you've dated." I argued and lightly nudged his arm.

"Still, I won't want Amy's wrath on me."

I laughed. "No. You won't. But are you willing to go through it now? She'd grown stricter over the years."

"After working around hard-headed clients and inflated egoistic lawyers, I think I can handle her now. But don't tell her I said that," he muttered the last part, peering back towards the living room where we faintly hear Amy and Dean chatting.

I smirked. "Of course. I don't want your inflated ego ruined as well."

He laughed sarcastically. "You got me there." He nodded towards the door. "Well, thank you for dinner. I shall see you, ah, when I see you?"

"Yes," I said and smiled demurely. "You shall."

He spared me further awkward interaction and exited the apartment with a short wave.

Once he was gone, I audibly exhaled in relief. I was absorbed in my own thought to notice Amy was watching intently behind me.

She cleared her throat loud enough that she jolted in surprise.

"So? You got yourself another hot date?" She teased.

I rolled my eyes. "You do know that there is only one guest room in this apartment, and I'm staying in it, right? If you don't want to sleep on the couch tonight, I suggest you be nicer to me."

"Like such a threat held me back before," she haughtily quipped.

"Nope. It never did."

****

Half an hour after Steve left, Dean called it a night as well. However, his and Amy's goodbye took a little longer and a lot explicit. I gave them some privacy, leaving the couple by the hallway.

I took this opportunity to hog the bathroom and wash up, getting ready for bed. Now I have a moment to myself; everything that happened this evening had dawned on me.