twenty eight

chapter 28; cue suspenseful music

Dr. Adeline Ripper hated Belladonna Ivy.

She hated how criminals always projected. It wouldn't have been enough to just send a letter, but she had to kill people? Adeline could never see the reasoning. Of course she knew that Belladonna was killing for Adeline, and it was on account of her parents leaving and having a rough childhood, but still. It didn't excuse killing innocent people.

Dr. Spencer Reid hated Belladonna Ivy.

He hated how she had the team on their toes. It wouldn't have been enough to call and catch up? Spencer could never see the reasoning. He knows that she is doing it because she is most likely in love with Adeline, but the love won't last, on account of her being too self-obsessed with being able to love anyone else. It didn't excuse killing innocent people.

Dr. Adeline Ripper didn't hate Dr. Spencer Reid.

Dr. Spencer Reid didn't hate Dr. Adeline Ripper.

They could feel it as they sat next to each other on their way to the abandoned warehouse. Adeline thought of how nice he had been to her as of recent, and felt a little guilty at being cold. Spencer thought of how Adeline kissed him, and how he could see that same look in her eyes whenever they made eye contact.

Adeline was in the middle of the backseat in the car, Spencer on her left and Prentiss on her right. Her beating heart felt a little better being in between the two people she trusted the most. She reached out to both of their hands, squeezing it in hers.

"Thank you both, for everything." She told them, looking between them both.

"You're welcome, Adeline. We would go with you through everything." Prentiss spoke for the both of them. Prentiss gave her a smile before pulling her hand from Adeline's, looking outside at the passing neighborhoods. Adeline made the move to pull her hand from Spencer's, but he squeezed her hand again.

"Stay by me, okay?" He whispered. Adeline turned to look at him, seeing desperation in his eyes. She nodded once, her face softening. He gave her a small smile before releasing her hand. Spencer put both his hands in his lap, fidgeting with his fingers. 

Adeline brushed the encounter to the back of her head, focusing on the present. They neared the warehouse, its tall, looming dark features a stark contrast against the city lights. The team pulled into the lot in front of the building and stepped out.

"Reid, Ripper and Prentiss, you three start moving up. The rest of us take the first floor and then follow, SWAT will be separated between us." Hotch demanded his team. He felt the slightest bit of pressure in his chest as he did before every event like this, but kept on his leadership expression for the benefit of the team.

With their guns drawn, the BAU agents proceeded into the building. Prentiss, following the floor plan she had seen, started leading the trio and the few SWAT agents to the back right corner where the staircase was. They reached the second floor and fanned out, checking each room and hallway. Thankfully the whole building had open floors, the few walls on each floor just holding a small room used for storage.

Downstairs the rest of the team had cleared the first floor and informed the others via earpiece. They moved up the stairs and passed the others on the way to the third floor. The lights from the city streamed into the room, illuminating the miscellaneous things strewn about. Morgan thought of how much the room looked like his houses would while he fixed them up. He broke off from the group to go to the right side of the room, dipping in between boxes. JJ and Hotch went towards the center of the room, to what looked like a fort made of boxes. JJ thought that maybe people squatted here, but Hotch didn't want to take any chances. He put his body in front of JJ and moved towards the opening.

He swung into the opening and found himself pointing his gun at Adeline's parents. Tears streaked down their faces as they squirmed in their bonds. The two were back to back with each other, their hands tied to the others. Tape stopped them from speaking and all they could do was plead with their eyes. Hotch leaned down and removed the tape a little too quickly from Mrs. Ripper.

"She left, I don't know where she went. She-she told us not to make a sound or else she would kill Adeline." She started sobbing. "Oh Adeline, not my baby."

"Adeline is fine, Mrs. Ripper. Did she go up or down the stairs?" Hotch asked, his voice filled with urgency.

"I-I think she went down. I think I heard a car start."

Hotch motioned for his team to head down and towards the surrounding streets. While they went down, Adeline's team moved up. Adeline led the way and when reaching the fourth floor feeling impatient, she internally groaned. The whole floor was a maze of boxes and equipment, the air holding a metallic smell from the rust built up over the years. Adeline entered the floor and moved to the left while the rest of the team veered right towards the mountain of things. Adeline looked around the boxes next to her, but found nothing. 

"We've got the Ripper's alive and well on the third floor, suspect may be in surrounding streets. All units report to ground floor." JJ's voice came through the earpiece. Adeline stopped in her tracks at a sound coming from above. The team raced past Adeline, who stood listening just out of eyeline. Spencer and Prentiss nearly tripped over themselves getting down the stairs, not wanting the Raven to get very far.

Adeline on the other hand, bounded up the steps, running to the roof. Her breath came out fast and her mind was focused on Belladonna. She skipped steps and tried to keep her footsteps soft, but with no such effort. Adeline knew that she wouldn't have run away, not when she would be there.

When Adeline reached the roof access door, she threw it open, her gun leading her eyesight. Adeline could feel her heartbeat pounding in her chest. Her breath came out in quick breaths. Her feet felt heavy as she crept around the roof, looking everywhere.

"Well hello darling." A voice purred from behind her. Adeline swung around, her gun steady.

"Hello Belladonna."