twenty three

chapter 23; this is everything I never wanted

"So here I was just sprinting, and I mean chest heaving sprinting, and this police officer is shouting at me." Emily says, putting down the wine glass.

"He says "what the hell are you doin?"" She mimics the guy's voice.

"And I was so tired at this point from the flight over and the jet-lag, that I just answered honestly. I told him "I'm looking for a man with one leg, on a white horse who wants to join the circus!"" The entire table burst into laughter, unable to hold back.

"And he just let you go?" Garcia asked, small giggles interrupting her speech.

"No way! He actually chased me down the streets as I went to the circus. Remember I didn't have my badge on me so I couldn't tell him I was FBI. So here I was, sprinting from a cop and chasing a one legged murder, and suddenly I hear this neighing." Prentiss mimics the sound which makes the table laugh even harder, many grabbing their stomachs.

"And I know I'm getting close to the circus. A few more blocks and I see it. I run in and there he is on stage. I'm interrupting the carnival as I yell "Stop! You're under arrest" and you know what he says?" 

"The horse did it!" The entire table yelled in a southern accent.

The team had decided to take a break that night and go to Rossi's house for dinner. It had been about a week since anything had happened and this was a much needed break. The team took turns telling stories back and forth and enjoying each other's company.

Spencer Reid couldn't stop staring at Adeline as she laughed and joined in the hysterics. He couldn't help but laugh whenever Adeline did something ridiculous, not caring how she looked. Her hair was pulled away from her face and a light flush adorned her cheeks from the wine. Adeline's eyes seemed to shine brighter than normal, and Reid wished that she always looked like this. Carefree and not worrying about the next day.

JJ had noticed Spencer staring at Adeline or stealing a few glances. She kicked him under the table to break his gaze. He turned to the girl next to him with a puzzling gaze, muttering an ow.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." JJ teased, bumping her shoulder into his. Spencer sheepishly looked down at his plate before looking up at Adeline again.

Adeline was enjoying her evening. She liked being casual with the team, and really felt like this was a family dinner. She complimented Rossi whenever she could about his cooking and asked for the secret to a good dish.

"Well it was passed down through many generations so there are a lot of old secret's to it. The number one thing you can't do is skip corners." He wagged his finger at her. "It's a science and there's no cheating, or else it will come out terrible." 

"So you're just not going to tell me?" Adeline tried to look serious, but soon grinned, unable to keep the façade. Rossi shook his head.

"Can I get anyone some more wine?" Hotch asked, standing up from the table. A chorus of cheers erupted as everyone held up their wine glasses.

The night went by smoothly. No calls and no emails asking them to come in. Rossi talked about the weird women he used to go out with and JJ told some stories from the time she was in the academy. It was a night where they could learn about each other and not worry if a murder was on the other side of Rossi's front door.

"So I had just shot a perfect score, right? The only girl in that shooting class and I had gotten a perfect score. You can only imagine the look on the boy's face." Adeline told the group, gauging their responses.

"So one guy goes "She obviously cheated, a girl can't make that shot."" the table called out at this. Some people booed while others made the sound kids would make if someone was called to the principal's office.