Chapter Twenty-Four | Carmon is Correct

The dark trees loomed over Ryan as he parked the car and walked around until he found Karter. He was at the top sitting on the park bench they normally did when they came out there.

With each step towards the dark figure, Ryan felt his heart sink just a bit more. Mentally cursing himself as he took a seat beside Karter.

"Is there a reason you picked to come up here when it is cold as fuck," Ryan questioned breaking the silence.

Karter kept his eyes on his hands, picking at his chipped black nail polish or absentmindedly twisting the ring on his thumb.

"I think," he paused. He didn't want to say the words yet both of them knew better, they had fun while it lasted. So why did Ryan feel so out of place with this decision?

"I don't want to come between you and Ember. I think we should uh, break up," his voice cracked and Ryan restrained himself from pulling him closer.

When he looked up to meet Ryan's eyes he quickly looked away.

"I agree." Ryan paused not agreeing in the slightest. "I don't want your friendship to be at stake either," he managed out, probably sounding harsher than he normally would have.

"Do you have a way back?" Ryan questioned. As much as he wanted to get out of there he still needed to know Karter had a safe way of getting back to his dorm.

Karter nodded.

Ryan got up and left.

He didn't know what else to do. He felt sick, and all he could think about was how everyone left him at some point. He was never the first pick, he was never anything to people, he knew better to think this way.

It was toxic, a lot like he was.

At least with his other relationships, he knew what he was getting into. This was different and he didn't know what to do about any of it.

So he drove back to work.

It was the only thing he could think to do without causing destruction to himself or the others around him.

Carmon was still there by the time he walked into the store. "How'd it-" she stopped not daring to look him in the eyes again.

He felt bad for ignoring her but blowing up at someone was the last thing Ryan wanted to do. He did not want to scare away one of the only people he had left to call a friend.

Shockingly she left him alone the whole night. She closed the store and left leaving only a note on his door.

"We will talk about this later, until then, get some rest, hun. Don't do anything I would do! Xoxo - Your Only Friend."

The more time that passed, the more numb Ryan felt. It was a welcomed feeling, at least he knew what it was, something he felt before. It was not something to get worked up over. He only knew the kid for a month. It was just another relationship.

He heard the nagging of Carmon's voice in his head at the thought. "And how many people do you fucking cuddle with, sometimes not even fucking them beforehand?"

"Or how many people do you randomly take out for breakfast just to see them again?"

"What about the times you stay awake just listening to their content snores?"

Ryan growled.

Even when the woman wasn't there she wormed her way into his thoughts with her messed up logic. Even if he knew she was right.