Chapter Thirty One

Saira SwitzJefferson:

We walk down the grim hallway,my arms tightly held in place and clasped to my back by a thick coil of rope.

So after the Ravens found me and confiscated my knife,the Head Raven,I assume,who always seems to be standing in the front,uttered only one word.

One command.

"Bind her."

And that's it.

It's so eery and creepy how the Ravens barely talk or issue commands like the Underground Warriors do.
There's a lack of camaraderie in these diabolical Ravens.
Not a sign of brotherhood in them.

Not for the first time,I wonder how Lavinco Ruth could do this abomination to these poor men.

And as I walk to wherever the Ravens are taking me,the Head Raven marching in the front,like a robot,his every move calculated and precise like someone has even shown how they must behave and walk and talk.

By becoming Lavinco's soldier,his Ravens have unknowingly signed off their freedom of speech,their very lives.

But my increasing pity and grim thoughts faded into the background once I realized we were heading the way we entered the Cube.

Heading to the Entrance Doors.

I was unconscious when they dragged me in here,with Ethan standing there, probably looking like a stupid escort.

But Zoe,our best Cybernetics Expert isn't known for falling behind.
She had shown me beforehand the Cube's dimensions, it's layered photographs and yes,the entrance, double knotted rooms,prisongates and even the Dictator's office.

She did show me all these to let me have a better clearing of the location and so that I could escape on my own,if I could.

Well,I do not see that happening anytime soon.

And I didn't even bother to ask her how she got these because the answer was,she just could.
She was just that good.
It was her passion.
And if passions were practised avidly,well one could definitely become the best.

But my thoughts again are rattled when I see the Head Raven taking off his glove, getting the pocket knife out from his red cloak,opening it with a resounding click and then making a neat cut in his palm.

And my eyes follow him as he places that bloody palm of his in a narrow hole in the dark wall,letting that blood leak out and seep into the hole and soon enough,the door with absolutely no knobs in sight opens slowly until there's a rectangular gap in front of us and I can see the huge ground covered with grass as sunlight pours in and I can see everything.

Even the mighty golden gates that I have only seen in the pictures Zoe got.

It looks so miniscule and so far away.

The Head Raven steps into the daylight,his feet firmly placed in the crunching grass and he's walking again.

No commands for the Ravens.

It's like he's doing just what he's been functioned to do.

With no emotion.

Although puzzled,I start moving because I am not sure how the Ravens would react if I just stood there and wondered why on earth I was being taken out from the Cube itself.

And even if they are trained mannequins,I am pretty sure they wouldn't hesitate to resort to violence if I didn't oblige to their commands.

So I go on into the sunlight,taking in the blue sky and the dark woods on both far sides.
How sinister it looks.
Beauty and danger side by side.