Nine - Glory and Gore

Start from the beginning

Cain raises an eyebrow. "You're not going soft and on the prowl for a girlfriend, are you, Lynx?"

"What?" Ash frowns. "Shut up, it's the opposite of that. I'm looking into her because she's threatened me."

"Really?" Sing laughs. "Who even if she?"

"Her name's Tora," Ash tells them, scanning the documents. "She did a number on one of your men in broad daylight by Chang Dai."

Sing's eyes widen. "So that's her? Damnit."

Cain scoffs. "What's this? Did they pull her hair or something?"

"One of my guys was left with a broken knee cap because of that girl." Sing shakes his head.

Cain nods. "Wow. She's got some guts going to Chinatown and causing trouble."

"That's actually what I came to talk to you about as well, Ash." Sing leans on the bar. "When you were away, I spoke to your guys but they had no idea. She said to my men that she had business with you, what did she mean?"

Ash shrugs, turning the pages. "Beats me. She needs my help with something and wants me to call her but I'm not buying it. If she wants my help then I'll need her to beg for it, I don't give in that easily."

"So you've spoken to her?" Cain asks.

"She paid us a little visit a few days ago," Ash tells them, closing the file and placing it on the bar top. "Came in and almost dislocated Alex's shoulder, asked for my help and then ruined my favourite pair of shoes."

Sing huffs. "So, she's a threat then?"

Ash waves a hand. "I wouldn't worry. She'll come crawling back in a few days, asking for my help again. I'll bet money. And no, she's not a threat. She's a little kitten in a big city, far from home and panicking."

The bar-man hands Ash another drink and he thanks him, sipping from the glass.

"Wonder what she's after," Cain says. "If you think she's harmless then why don't you just hear her out?"

Ash scoffs. "That's exactly what she wants me to do, but that's not how it works."

"Damn you're stubborn." Cain shakes his head.

Turning to look past Cain and at the TV screen on the wall, Ash turns to the bartender. "Turn it up, would you, Kyle."

Grabbing the remote from the side, he turns the volume up of the news channel and Ash listens closely.

A photo of a smartly dressed, dark-haired man is on the screen —the same man he saw last night.

The anchor reports the case. "It's been reported that officers found the body of 55-year-old investor Simon Jones dead in his city apartment in Lower Manhattan. The news comes in from early this morning when he didn't show up to a meeting and authorities investigated his premises. At the moment, we've been told that he was attacked, resulting in severe wounds to his hands along with a broken nose. Police are saying they believe he ultimately bled to death as well as a blow to the head which resulted in brain damage. He was last seen at 'Elevate Lounge' last night, celebrating a million-dollar deal. His wife, who stayed in Florida while he took a trip to New York, has yet to comment and we're sure it's come as a shock to hear the news. CNN, New York."

"Jeez, that's brutal." Sing winces. "To die from a head injury like that."

"Are you sure you're a gang leader?" Ash questions, jokingly.

Cain raises an eyebrow. "Who do you think did it?"

Ash crosses his arms. "Dead in his apartment, wife back home in Florida, out celebrating an investment deal. Seems fishy."

"You sure you don't know who it was?" Sing questions.

Ash shrugs. "Of course I know who did it —I saw him leave the club last night with a certain lady. It seems he's been bitten by a feline named Tora."

Cain furrows his eyebrows. "The Japanese chick? No way."

"What can you expect? I'm sure he had it coming." Ash smirks. "If you rile a tiger, she's going to show her claws."

-

Sat at a small table outside the café, Tora hugs her jacket tighter around her body and watches as people walk past on their morning commute to work.

Sipping her cup of coffee and placing it back down on the table, Tora takes a drag from her cigarette and flicks off the dregs into the ashtray. She runs her finger over her bruised, split knuckles.

Everything had gone just as Tanaka had promised.

The day after Simon Jones' death, it had been broadcasted in the news, his wife gave a very heartfelt speech about her husband, and all had seemed like a sad story to the public eye. But it was the day after that, that The Times had received an 'anonymous' tip and photos surfaced, alluding to the crimes and illegal activities committed by Simon. Suddenly, he wasn't being mourned over, but instead shunned and dishonoured. He got what he deserved.

A buzz from her phone sounds and she picks up the call from a 'withheld number'. "Hello?"

"Tora."

She raises an eyebrow. "What do you want?"

Ash laughs. "That's no way to speak to your friend."

Scoffing, Tora inhales her cigarette. "What the hell would make you think that we're friends. We're closer to enemies if anything."

"That hurt, Tora." Ash jokes. "I'm appalled that that's how you see me."

She lets out a chesty cough, extinguishing her cigarette into the ashtray. "Fine. Just tell me what you want."

Ash smirks. "I thought you'd be happy to hear from me?"

"Ahh, so you've decided to help me out then, have you?" She questions. "I knew you'd see it my way."

"Whatever." He mumbles. "Meet me at the East Docklands, Unit 336, at 1am."

Tora grimaces. "You know, I'm still struggling with jet lag so that might be a problem for me."

Scoffing, Ash shouts down the phone. "If you want my help, be there."

And the line goes dead, Tora smirking as she hangs up the phone and continues to sip her coffee.

-

-

-

"glory and gore go hand in hand,

that's why we're making headlines" - Lorde